Suggestions for schools for MA in counselling psychology in US + NYU Counseling Psyc

peony2

Hey everyone,

I'm new to gradcafe, I'm sorry in advance if I ramble or ask too many questions!

So I'm in my last year of my Psychology honours program (a second undergrad degree) this year and am starting to prep for applications for Fall 2013. I hope to pursue an MA in counselling psychology and I am familiar with Canadian schools (UBC, Western, U of T) that offer Counselling psychology but I am completely lost when it comes to the US schools! I'm not sure what factors I should base on what schools I should apply to. I am a Canadian citizen so I know finances could be an issue, but other than that, I'm not so sure.

The only US schools I have really looked into are NYU and Adler. NYU is pretty up there on my list of schools! :)

Another issue I might as well bring up here is admissions (in general) for US schools for the MA in counselling psychology.

Do US schools look at the cGPA when considering applicants or are they like Canadian schools where they focus on last 2 years marks? I have strong grades now but my first undergrad degree marks make me cringe. :wacko:

So I guess what I'm asking would be if I could get some recommendations to which schools I could look into to apply in the US (or at least where I could begin to research US schools), and whether my academic history would allow me to even be considered for MA in counselling psychology (Especially NYU!)

Your help is much appreciated, thanks so much!