Recently Decided I Want to go to Grad School and Need Advice

golgafrinchan

Hi guys,

I graduated last spring with an undergraduate degree in EE and CS and I've been working for a few months as a software engineer.

Before graduating, I thought about grad school, but decided I would try working for a while to see how I like software engineering. I've been enjoying work, but after some reflection I've come to the realization that what I really want to do is get a PhD in CS. The problem is I don't really have any idea what to do now.

Due to personal reasons, I did really really badly for the first three semesters of school. I ended up turning around and working really hard, but it doesn't quite erase how badly I did. I've been looking at grad schools a little and I didn't realize that the application deadlines were so early! And none of them have spring admissions. The options I've been considering in my head are:

Rush out an application for a PhD program

Rush out an application for an MS program then apply to a PhD program when I finish that

Continue working for a year then apply to a PhD program

I'd like to know what you guys think would be the best option and what the best grad schools I could potentially get accepted into for CS would be, given my profile. Also any advice in general about the application process would be super helpful. I've included a list of what I consider my pros and cons below. Thanks!

Double major in EE and CS from a decent school (top 40 according to US News for whatever that's worth).

GPA of 3.5

Haven't taken the GREs yet but I think I could do well on them.

Pros:

3.8 GPA in CS courses for major

3.7 GPA in EE courses for major

3.8 GPA for semesters 4-8 (junior year, senior year, and half of sophomore year)

Took 6 classes (the normal amount is 4) each semester junior and senior year due to double major

Did research over the summer of junior year

The professor really liked me and I could get a good recommendation

Published workshop short paper thing

Cons:

2.9 GPA for semesters 1-3 (freshman and half of sophomore year)

Bad grades from this period include a C- in Calculus 3, C in physics, F in Writing

Didn't do anything over the summers of freshman and sophomore year

I think the low grades initially could be overlooked given your strong grades in your major.I'm hoping you took some other writing classes and did well in them. If you can get good letters, that would also help.1 summer of research seems a bit minimal. CS is not my field, so hopefully you'll get more advice from people with experience in your area.

Hi guys,

I graduated last spring with an undergraduate degree in EE and CS and I've been working for a few months as a software engineer.

Before graduating, I thought about grad school, but decided I would try working for a while to see how I like software engineering. I've been enjoying work, but after some reflection I've come to the realization that what I really want to do is get a PhD in CS. The problem is I don't really have any idea what to do now.

Due to personal reasons, I did really really badly for the first three semesters of school. I ended up turning around and working really hard, but it doesn't quite erase how badly I did. I've been looking at grad schools a little and I didn't realize that the application deadlines were so early! And none of them have spring admissions. The options I've been considering in my head are:

Rush out an application for a PhD program

Rush out an application for an MS program then apply to a PhD program when I finish that

Continue working for a year then apply to a PhD program

I'd like to know what you guys think would be the best option and what the best grad schools I could potentially get accepted into for CS would be, given my profile. Also any advice in general about the application process would be super helpful. I've included a list of what I consider my pros and cons below. Thanks!

Double major in EE and CS from a decent school (top 40 according to US News for whatever that's worth).

GPA of 3.5

Haven't taken the GREs yet but I think I could do well on them.

Pros:

3.8 GPA in CS courses for major

3.7 GPA in EE courses for major

3.8 GPA for semesters 4-8 (junior year, senior year, and half of sophomore year)

Took 6 classes (the normal amount is 4) each semester junior and senior year due to double major

Did research over the summer of junior year

The professor really liked me and I could get a good recommendation

Published workshop short paper thing

Cons:

2.9 GPA for semesters 1-3 (freshman and half of sophomore year)

Bad grades from this period include a C- in Calculus 3, C in physics, F in Writing

Didn't do anything over the summers of freshman and sophomore year

Chill. Your GPA is perfectly fine for an engineer. Yes, you will have to explain your less than stellar grades in your first three semesters, but that won't be too difficult given your upward trend. Right now, you can go take the GRE and apply to a few schools, and I would bet you would get admitted, at least to an MS or MSCS program.

The only real concern I have is that you didn't explain why you want a PhD in computer science. In order to get through up to seven years of hell filled with moments that will test your sanity, you need passion and determination and tenacity and direction. You're also going to need some potential research interests, so I would sign up for ACM, IEEE CS, and USENIX memberships. Your company might be willing to pay for these. Look through the journals for articles that strike your fancy. Go to a conference or two.

If you are unsure of your GPA or whether you really want that PhD, you can always do what I did: take a few non-degree classes (paid for by your employer), study for the GRE, do some intense soul searching as you write your goal statement or statement of purpose, and get relevant work experience.