does conditionally classified affect funding/assistantship

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I'm looking at many universities and I see applicants can be accepted on classified or conditionally classified status. It appears that conditionally classified means although the applicant is accepted, there is a negative in his/her application that needs to be corrected while in the program. For example, if your GPA is low or if you lack some prereqs. Well, I believe I would be conditionally classified at a lot of my potential schools because I'm a linguistic major who lacks the foreign language proficiency requirements of many schools. Now, I was wondering if conditionally classified status will have a negative effect on things such as funding and assistantships.

Edited by JoeyBoy718

You should ask the schools you're interested in. A general policy that someone might have heard about for an unrelated school/field may not apply in your case.

But as we've discussed in the linguistics forum in the past, the language requirement is something you need to pass *while you're in the program*, it's not usually a prerequisite for applying to the program. And, as discussed, showing competency is really not as big a deal as you seem to make of it.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

You should ask the schools you're interested in. A general policy that someone might have heard about for an unrelated school/field may not apply in your case.

But as we've discussed in the linguistics forum in the past, the language requirement is something you need to pass *while you're in the program*, it's not usually a prerequisite for applying to the program. And, as discussed, showing competency is really not as big a deal as you seem to make of it.

I know. I'm not saying it's a big deal. I was just wondering if being under conditionally classified standing would negatively affect any funding or jobs I might be offered. I won't be able to satisfy the language requirements before I start my program.