The College of William and Mary

ravinraven718

*starts 2009 thread*

I got my acceptance letter for admission into the M.A. Ed. Social Studies program today, much to my surprise. So in three months I'll be moving 600 miles away from all of my friends and family, which is quite terrifying, but also thrilling. Anyone else headed to Williamsburg?

I don't live in the "GradPlex", as it is known, but I have been inside a few of the apartments and I stayed there when I was a prospective student. Apartments come in doubles, triples or quads, and the quads have two bathrooms. The kitchen is insanely small, especially for 3 or 4 people. Many of the units have been recently renovated and are much nicer and cleaner now. The GradPlex is right next to the law school, but is within walking distance of the history building (but by no means very close). You will have to pay to park at the GradPlex, but that decal is the same as the general day-student parking pass (though pricey, around $300, and most off-campus students find away around paying it). The complex is located on a residential street so it is nice and quiet and you aren't bogged down by Colonial Williamsburg tourists. The units have air conditioning but you can't control it, I think the school runs it from May to September/October. The GradPlex is unusually attractive for campus housing and has a nice courtyard and I believe a barbeque area and a volleyball setup. Internet and cable get rolled into the monthly bill, and you can prorate through the summer if you're staying around. All the apartments come equipped with couches, coffee table, and a table and 4 chairs, and the bedrooms have twin beds, dresser, desk with hutch, and pretty big closets (I think the furniture is pretty good for institutional stuff). The only complaint I've heard is that it can be unclear who is responsible for maintenance concerns. So far, my friends are pretty content with it, and they didn't have the hassle of dealing with buying/moving furniture or finding an apartment or roommate on their own.

In my opinion, the pictures of the inside of the apartments posted on the website make the apartments look very bad. The bedrooms are actually a decent size and the dining/living areas are spacious, and whatever crummy furniture you see in the photos is long gone.

I hope this was somewhat helpful!

Thanks Sonic. I'm planning on living at there since I don't really have time to find an apartment. I was wondering what the public transportation is like in Williamsburg. Are most things within walking distance of campus or along bus routes? Is there non-permit parking nearby if I have visitors?

• 1 month later...
Thanks Sonic. I'm planning on living at there since I don't really have time to find an apartment. I was wondering what the public transportation is like in Williamsburg. Are most things within walking distance of campus or along bus routes? Is there non-permit parking nearby if I have visitors?

I will be attending W&M starting this summer (mid July) for its accounting program (grad). I just visited the campus over the weekend and notice the "green line" bus around campus (http://www.williamsburgtransport.com/Pa ... e2007.html).

I too find it difficult to find housing that is close (walking distance) to campus. I found a lot of people post room/housing ads in http://sin.wm.edu/modules/housingcenter/. So far nothing suits my situation/preference :(

• 2 weeks later...

hi kids,

i'm also going to william & mary starting in june to get my master's in education. i've been down to visit, but haven't seen the inside of the gradplex apartments. i've already agreed to live there and would love to know what i've gotten myself into. if you know where to find pictures please let me know. thanks!

amanda

Most things are not within walking distance, especially in summer heat, but the bus routes are pretty good in terms of getting you near pharmacies, grocery stores, etc. Biking is also popular and the town is peppered with bike lanes and racks. Permit parking is suspended on weekends so people can park anywhere they like. This can be a problem during the days of the height of summer tourism to Colonial Williamsburg, but isn't a problem on weekend nights. Daytime visitors would have more problems parking on or near campus for more than a few hours at a time.

• 2 weeks later...
hi kids,

i'm also going to william & mary starting in june to get my master's in education. i've been down to visit, but haven't seen the inside of the gradplex apartments. i've already agreed to live there and would love to know what i've gotten myself into. if you know where to find pictures please let me know. thanks!

amanda

Hey! I'm living there as well (moving in in 10 days - Eeep!). I'm also in the M.A. Ed. program, but in Social Studies.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use