GPA worry in applying for MPP/MPA programs

laviola

I've recently decided to shift my focus from international relations to an MPP/MPA program, as I believe the former is more practical and more grounded in learning the quantitative aspects of the field. I've heard it's a great degree, too. I applied for a few masters degrees last year and wasn't successful, but I was still in school and had no idea what to put in my applications essays etc, and wasn't very focused.

This time, I think I have a better handle on things, but my GPA still worries me. Most of these programs require at least a B+ gpa, which is fine because my overall gpa for the 4 years IS a B+ (maybe even slightly higher) and my gpa for my specific major was an A- or A, but MPP programs look more at the overall GPA or last 2 years, which for me is probably a B+ or slightly below.

Now, because I'm so close to/on the average gpa, I feel like I need something to make me stand out. I'm only 22 and just graduated, and I have a couple years of work experience for the government, but I get the feeling these schools usually hand out acceptance letters to people over 25. I don't want to wait 3 more years just to get a masters degree, I think that's really stupid. What are my chances of making it in? Should I shoot for certain schools? I'm Canadian and I'm open to studying abroad, but I really don't want to take the GRE/GMAT/extra tests the States make you take, especially as their schools are WAY too expensive for me anyway.

Should I merely focus on writing a good personal statement and hope to get in somewhere? Are there any programs in Canada that require less than a B+? I appreciate any help.

Edit: I should add - this is specifically asking if there are programs with lower requirements (here or abroad) or if a really great personal statement can make the difference, and if so, what are the ways of going about doing this.

Edited by laviola

• 1 month later...

I don't know about Canada, but if you are open to studying in the States why not take the GRE? Sadly the GRE is required for most graduate programs. I wish I didn't have to take it either. If that is not a viable option I think focusing on your personal statement should help, especially since you said when you first applied you weren't focused.