PhD?

mylstisr

Does anyone know how seriously the requirement of two-three years practice experience is taken?

I think my application is a strong one, in general, save for the fact that I have no experience working as a therapist outside of volunteer experience. I.e., I have published and won several major grants; scored 670 verbal, 650 Quant. and 4.5 analytical on the GRE; I have seven years of research and program evaluation experience; extensive coursework in statistics. I have worked mostly as a consultant and development professional since graduating from my MSW program.

I am only applying to one program - Columbia - because I must be in NYC and I applied to the advanced practice track. I am wondering what my chances are.

Sincerely,

eager to know

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I wish I had found this board earlier. I have applied to the MA/PhD program at the University of Chicago. This was the only program in which I applied because of my specific interests. I am finishing my M.Ed, so I have a different experience than most applying for a social work doctorate. Only really interested in research and teaching. The deadline was just his past Wednesday, so Im hoping to get a response in mid February. Maybe?!? My GRE scores were okay, undergrad GPA, again ok, graduate school GPA rocks, and I have one publication. I'm hoping my SOA and my publication are my saving grace. Oh and of course fit.

• 3 weeks later...

If you must remain in NYC, why can you not apply to NYU and Hunter? They have strong clinical tracks.

There was only one faculty member I wanted to work with at NYU...but four faculty members at Columbia. I am not so much interested in clinical practice as I am in evidence-based interventions for serious mental illness, which Columbia does superbly well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I wish I had found this board earlier. I have applied to the MA/PhD program at the University of Chicago. This was the only program in which I applied because of my specific interests. I am finishing my M.Ed, so I have a different experience than most applying for a social work doctorate. Only really interested in research and teaching. The deadline was just his past Wednesday, so Im hoping to get a response in mid February. Maybe?!? My GRE scores were okay, undergrad GPA, again ok, graduate school GPA rocks, and I have one publication. I'm hoping my SOA and my publication are my saving grace. Oh and of course fit.

Hey! Someone in my MFT program just showed me this site today... Don't know how I didn't find it earlier, either.

NadaJ, I also applied to UofC/SSA for Fall 2011, haven't heard anything back yet. Like you, I am not coming in with an MSW (also applied for the joint program) but am hoping that the systemic/clinical focus of my MFT will do me good. I don't have any publications but I've done a few other things here and there that hopefully demonstrate my commitment to my topic.

Here's to hoping we hear in February... I don't think I can wait until March!

Hey! Someone in my MFT program just showed me this site today... Don't know how I didn't find it earlier, either.

NadaJ, I also applied to UofC/SSA for Fall 2011, haven't heard anything back yet. Like you, I am not coming in with an MSW (also applied for the joint program) but am hoping that the systemic/clinical focus of my MFT will do me good. I don't have any publications but I've done a few other things here and there that hopefully demonstrate my commitment to my topic.

Here's to hoping we hear in February... I don't think I can wait until March!

Hi! I applied to the U of C joint MSW/PhD too. I haven't heard anything back yet either. I looked through the results page from the last few years and it looks like people were generally accepted in early to mid February....

• 3 weeks later...

No interviews at WashU. ?

On 2/15/2011 at 9:10 PM, jamcleod said:

Anyone know if WashU's SW PhD program conducts interviews? Or has anyone applying to their PhD program heard anything yet?

• 9 months later...

I'm hoping if I do a little bump on this thread someone will give me updates and/or advice, info...anything, really!

I have my MSW from Columbia in 2008 and have been itching to apply to PhD programs ever since. My problems at this point are being very limited to certain locations due to my husband's job being local and needing help from family for childcare, as well as being fairly unfocused about what I'm most interested in--all of the sudden I'm sort of drawn to the super clinical programs, though I don't know if it's just a phase. I have ZERO research experience...and that's really my biggest concern. I am currently trying to find out more about Fordham, Smith, NYU, WashU, UCONN, and Hunter.

Any news, advice, experences?? :)