self-reporting GRE scores, cherry-pick highest?

iowaguy

When self-reporting GRE scores on admission applications, do you just cherry-pick your highest score from each section? (Verbal, Quant, Writing)

Let's say, for example, that my highest Verbal came from a Sept test date, my highest Quant from an October test date, and my highest Writing from a November test date. Do I just self-report these highest scores and then send in the 3 different GRE tests to the schools as proof?

i.e. when communicating with a Professor of Interest, and he asks what my GRE scores are, do I tell him/her the cherry-picked higest values?

Thoughts?

No, you should probably report all your scores from the same test date. Even with the new ScoreSelect, you can only pick scores from the same test date. So if you took the GRE multiple times, it's fine to self-report the best set of scores (from the same date), but you shouldn't pick the best in each section and report separately.

My reasoning is that if you cherry pick the way you describe, your answer will never match up with any ETS official report. I guess it might be okay if you disclose what you're doing but that might make your response too long-winded. In addition, cherry picking data is a big no-no in research and that kind of behaviour might cast you in a negative light. Just my opinion though, I haven't dealt with this situation personally.