Submitting LOR online--why do I find it so confusing?

I'm applying for Fall 2013 and my application isn't ready yet (still need to take GRE, perfect my essay, etc). I want to ask my professors for LOR now because they both have a minimum they give out per semester.

My question: Can I submit my LOR before I submit my entire application? Most of the applications are online except for two. Will the online letters get saved and submitted only when I choose to the submit the entire application?

I apologize if this question has been asked before--I couldn't find a similar topic. It seems like I'm always asking the most basic questions here everyone else knows the answers to.

Usually the online LOR are submitted by the prof, not by the student. You start the application and you can probably skip to the LOR part after filling in the basic information. You fill in your prof's name, school, and email then they get an email from the system with logon info to access the LOR part of your application. However, sometimes this email does not get sent until you finish your entire application (which is annoying!).

TakeruK,

Thank you for the reply. It sounds like I'm stuck where I can't get the LOR before I finish the entire application. Perhaps it'll be best for me to ask my professor if they'll wait until I'm ready with my application?

Yes, you should ask your professors now if they will write LORs for you. Once they agree, give them your list of schools and tell them you will be updating them on how to submit (even if the update is just to say "I have submitted my application to school X; you should receive an email with instructions on how to submit your letter online").

That is what I did, since I had one school that wouldn't send the LOR emails without a complete application. None of my letter writers indicated that this was unusual. I'm sure most professors just write their letters in Word or whatever, save them, then upload or mail them as needed.

Edited by Pitangus