Terrible time to contact professors?

DocLex

For the past year and a half, I have been casually mulling over the idea of going to graduate school in robotics. However, more recently I have become very serious about applying to graduate school for fall 2013. Unfortunately, I am pretty late in the cycle. I know it would be no problem to get my application materials in and take the GREs in time. However, I am worried about contacting professors. It seems as though right now, early September, is about the worst time to contact potential advisors. Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge of whether or not this makes a big difference?

I've been contacting professors since mid August, and the latest email was sent out last week and I've gotten replies back from all but one of them saying they are either planning on taking students or definitely taking students. Some professors even go so far as to give me the link to various programs and Universities (one had changed institutions).

So whoever told you now is a bad time to contact professors may or may not be correct, but the worse that could happen is they do not reply back. The best that could happen is they get interested in you, or tell you they're not taking students so you don't waste your money applying.

Note: Yes, I realize the poor grammar in my post.

Edited by cherubie