Competitive for Toxicology programs?

bobtheblob

Hey all, I'd appreciate some thoughts here.

I recently took my GRE for the first time and scored a 165/165/5.5. All in all, I'm pretty happy with my score. Unfortunately, it's the only really solid part of my application. :mellow:

I have a cumulative undergrad GPA of 3.13 (should be 3.21 by the end of this semester) and I am graduating in December. It's pretty bad - this I know - but most of the hit comes from a bombed semester as a freshman about 11 years ago. Some mistakes just never go away. :P My cumulative science GPA is 3.35, with mostly A's in my upper-D classes. I am a biochemistry major at a top-tier program, btw.

One thing that has been a source of grief for me is that I do not have research experience. I am starting my first research position TOMORROW (8/29/2012). I am super excited about it, but that will give me all of 3 months experience in a wet lab by the time apps are due. For what it's worth, I have locked the position in until next summer, so there is time for actual education and experience, but not relevant for this next admissions cycle.

I have secured recommendations from 3 excellent professors with solid reps in the biochemistry world. I also have significant work (and life!) experience in the medical profession, incl. thousands of clinical and surgical hours, positions of significant leadership and responsibility, and numerous professional accolades/awards.

In sum, I am not sure how much any of that really matters to a PhD admissions board, so there are two big questions here:

1) What sort of toxicology programs would find me a competitive applicant?

2) How much should I try to downplay my mediocre GPA and lack of research?

Thank you to any and all respondents!

3 months of research experience is pretty low -- you can try this year, but if it doesn't work out, an extra year of research experience will make your application much stronger. Good luck!