Research experience and the CV

amlobo

Ok, this is going to sound like a really dumb question, but what is considered "research experience?" I was not a sociology major, so I obviously have no sociological research experience. I have written many research papers, but it's not like I collected original data or performed regressions or conducted interviews. My majors were in history and political science, so my "research" was basically me finding articles/books/etc. to support my thesis and writing a paper. Then, in law school and my job, I have performed legal research... which is totally different from regular academic research. It involves researching case law and statutes and supporting my argument... and I do so much of it that it seems ridiculous to mention it.

Is any of this considered "research experience" that I could list on a CV when applying to Sociology Phd programs? I don't want a huge blank, obviously, but am unclear on what qualifies as research experience. Would it be the "papers" I've written for courses? I did write a law journal article that was published - is that research experience... or just a publication? I am sure I am making this much more confusing than it needs to be, but any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

I understand that the "topic" papers I wrote for most of my classes do not qualify... such as where I had to respond to a prompt or was limited to using the course materials. My majors did, however, require a research seminar for which you submitted a research proposal, chose your own topic, found your own sources, and wrote a decent-sized paper (~25 pages). It was a "mini-thesis" of sorts. I'm assuming that those would count? For instance... for History, I wrote about the socio-political utility and effect of a particular writer's work in a certain city in Renaissance Europe. For PoliSci, I constructed an educational policy and predicted and examined the systemic effects. So, my work was considered research within those disciplines... but I just didn't know how it would translate.

I think I will just list those papers with my majors as you would a thesis, but label them differently. It's not the end of the world to have a very short research experience section. Hopefully my other sections will compensate.

Edited by amlobo