Fit versus lifestyle

begrex

So I'm deciding between a top 20 school that is fantastic in my area and a lower-ranked school that is not as strong in my area. The problem is that the latter is located in an area where I have family and that boasts an easier lifestyle. Additionally, that school has fewer teaching obligations. Ordinarily I would always go for the better rank and better program but I'm planning on (hopefully) having a kid during school and feel that lifestyle should play a significant role.

Tell me if I'm crazy.

Another question you need to ask is "how will my decision effect my lifestyle in 10 years when I have my degree and I'm on the job market?"

Going to a school where you're more likely to succeed, have a better research fit and has a better placement record means that you're more likely to have more choices when it comes to getting a job. So you have to weigh lifestyle for 4-8 years vs. lifestyle for your life after that. Obviously going to the better fit won't ensure you're a better scholar or have more connections, but it is a factor.

What field are you in? What are you researching? You should ask about residency requirements. Particularly if you're in the humanities it's possible to do your course work and comps and get out of town in two years if you're motivated and then conduct your research/writing elsewhere. I know of a historian who entered a program on the opposite side of the country with an MA already completed, wrote is comps in ten months and then moved back across the country to write his PhD.