Application Timeline? When should I take my GRE?

waqfi

Hi all, I'm new here, and just now attempting to put together an application for grad school, with the hopes to enter in Fall 2013.

I'm one of the first people in my family to apply to a decent grad school - my mom applied to a new program at a local school before me, but she has a different experience being in the sciences, I feel. I'm trying to get into a grad program in the social sciences.

At this point, I have my target schools, and my top choice needs ALL application materials in by January 3rd. When is the absolute latest I should take my GRE, given that I need to allow time for scores to come back and be sent to schools, etc. I'm trying to put together a rough timeline of how I should be approaching all of this, and so any help on this front would be appreciated. Things like "Essay Done by X date", "GRE done by Y date", "School list compiled by Z date etc" I have a lot of time on my hands to study and really get to know the in and outs of this process, so please point me anywhere that you think could help.

Thank you all so much, and all the best with your guys' applications as well :)

See this a few days ago.

The timing considerations are the same, 4-6 weeks. I'd take it significantly earlier than this however, in case you decide you want to take it twice--now that ETS allows you to send only the scores you want to instead of all of them, you can be sure that you competition will be doing so.

Hello,

I just scheduled my general test last week for the 26th of September. I think most students take them in September and October, so spots are probably filling up quickly. If there aren't many testing locations in your area I would definitely recommend signing up now, even if you schedule it for October.

Help this helps. Good luck!

Same issue ! Application deadline approaching in December first to second week for graduate schools across the US ( anthropology). Planning to take the test in November but very few spots left available in my country .... Really wondering what dates should I pick... the one's around 6-7th of November or the other set around the 16th of Nov? Please help :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hi people! I'm new here and i'm so happy that i finally found this forum. I am in the first year of college and i already started studying some words for the GRE; i was wondering when is the proper time to start taking the GRE?