How much do schools look at GPA?

whitp

Hi, I am new to this forum and thinking of applying to MFA (photography) in spring 2014.

The BFA program that I am currently enrolled in is my second bachelors degree and I have about 3.5 GPA after 2nd year.

However, I graduated with my first bachelor's degree with an absolutely horrendous GPA and it will bring my cumulative GPA significantly when combined with my current BFA degree.

I was just wondering how much emphasis do schools put on GPA when selecting their grad students?

Thanks!

I don't know how it works for photography specifically, but in the sciences your GPA in your field of interest is much more important than your overall GPA. Thus, many schools would ask for your overall GPA, and then a GPA for your photography courses. Also, it seems that most grad school programs are willing to overlook people who had a rough start, so that if you really messed up your freshman year but then did well the other three years you would be OK.

GPA doesn't really matter for MFA applicants as long as they believe you will work hard once your admitted. If they ask about it during the interview just show them how you changed. Its not likely that they will even notice at most programs.

• 2 months later...

hey it really does not matter what you have done in the past, but it is more about producing and continuing to produce quality work. The NYT picture editor never went to college( he is no longer there, due to health problems) so all I can say is just keep doing what you love and forget about all the qualifications required because in the end it is the people who have the passion and drive to continue NO MATTER WHAT that will prove it all and it is what you produce and discover that makes all the difference.

I have noticed that a few schools have a GPA requirement, usually it is a 3.0 GPA or higher, not sure if that would have to be your cumulative GPA or just the one from your BFA. That being said, if you meet that requirement I think that is all they care about, a higher or lower GPA probably won't make a difference in terms of being selected for the program.

On a different subject, but similar question- how does the statement of purpose/ letter of intent/etc. usually weigh in? I know the portfolios will be the main consideration, but if the statement is a little weak in comparison to the rest of the application will that be a big difference or a smaller difference?

I'm confident in my work, have a 4.0 GPA, and will have good letters of recommendation but I am not the best writer. My undergrad is a smaller state school, and since my papers were generally in the best of the class (of students who cared less than me)- they were criticized less and I improved less. On top of that, I have only had to write one paper in the last year so I am out of practice. My artist statement was difficult, but I think it will be okay. However, I'm finding this statement to be incredibly daunting and the more I fret about it the less I'm able to get any work on it done. I'm worried it will be average, boring, typical....

I guess I'm just sharing my fear of being rejected not for my art but for my writing. But I am interested if anyone knows where it usually stands in the considerations of applications.

Your statement of purpose is usually heavily weighted because it often gives a sense of your understanding of your own work, shows if you have researched the program you are applying to, and shows if you have goals for where your work will develop. After the portfolio it is usually the 2nd most important part of the application.

It also depends on the program. Honestly, some graduate committees don't even read the statements (most of them are too painful to read I've been told by various professors)... and others, not only do you need to have the best work, but you also have to be an all-around amazing person with amazing ideas, as described through your statement (hello ivy leagues!).

Some extraneous advice, before you finalize your statement, read it out aloud. Sometimes one designated person in the committee will read the statements out aloud to everyone else as they click through the slides.

Don't worry too much. Just keep the jargon to a minimum and write sincerely. In the end, it's the work that will make or break you.

I would just like to add that I was at USC the other day and although they said the school requires a 3.0 GPA that they have never actually really complied with the rule and take who they like regardless of GPA. So I wouldn't sweat your old GPAs much as I assume this is how most schools really work.

Edited by bengston

Thank you for the feedback! I think I have finally found a solid, sincere way to integrate everything. Still needs quite a bit of work, but I don't feel quite as incompetent as I did a few days back!

On a different subject, but similar question- how does the statement of purpose/ letter of intent/etc. usually weigh in? I know the portfolios will be the main consideration, but if the statement is a little weak in comparison to the rest of the application will that be a big difference or a smaller difference?

I'm confident in my work, have a 4.0 GPA, and will have good letters of recommendation but I am not the best writer. My undergrad is a smaller state school, and since my papers were generally in the best of the class (of students who cared less than me)- they were criticized less and I improved less. On top of that, I have only had to write one paper in the last year so I am out of practice. My artist statement was difficult, but I think it will be okay. However, I'm finding this statement to be incredibly daunting and the more I fret about it the less I'm able to get any work on it done. I'm worried it will be average, boring, typical....

I guess I'm just sharing my fear of being rejected not for my art but for my writing. But I am interested if anyone knows where it usually stands in the considerations of applications.

I don't want to scare you, but I am currently enrolled in an MFA program and our professors basically told us that our statements were the most heavily considered parts of our application. I believe the statements allow professors to see who is serious and who can think critically. However, my program is very competitive and non-traditional. I think that in most cases, the portfolio is the most heavily considered. I have been told by people from many different types of programs that letters of recs are almost always the least heavily considered part of the application, but most of those people also said that applicants who were missing letters of recs were not considered. To me, that seems somewhat contradictory... So take that how you will. I suppose some measures are in place simply to weed people out in a competitive applicant pool. Cruel, cruel world.

I think GPA seems to be a logical way to create a cut-off and is not actually used to weigh applicants against one another. However, statements and portfolios seem to be the most logical aspects of the application to use when weighing applicants against each other and also to see if those applicants are a good fit for the professors and other grads already enrolled.

When I applied to grad school, reading statements by people already enrolled in similar programs was extremely helpful for me. Reading other people's statements helped me figure out how to frame my own. It wasn't so much that I was copying their rhetoric or anything like that. I just needed help framing the outline of the statement. Mine ended up being around 1000 words. I know some programs have lower word-count max. Talking to your POIs at the programs you are applying to might help you figure out what those professors are looking for in application statements. Also, reading up on rhetoric and persuasive writing might give you some ideas.

resources: http://rhetoric.nuvv...ting-techniques

http://services.smar...iteman/1_07.cfm

If you have a library nearby, go check out as many books on persuasive writing as you can get your hands on.

Most importantly, just write. You are making a huge life-changing decision by applying to graduate school - clearly there is something you are incredibly passionate about. That may be your work, the content of your work, etc. Write about that passion.

On a side note, good luck to 2013 applicants!!!

Edited by Mindfields88

When I applied to grad school, reading statements by people already enrolled in similar programs was extremely helpful for me. Reading other people's statements helped me figure out how to frame my own. It wasn't so much that I was copying their rhetoric or anything like that. I just needed help framing the outline of the statement. Mine ended up being around 1000 words. I know some programs have lower word-count max. Talking to your POIs at the programs you are applying to might help you figure out what those professors are looking for in application statements. Also, reading up on rhetoric and persuasive writing might give you some ideas.

resources: http://rhetoric.nuvv...ting-techniques

http://services.smar...iteman/1_07.cfm

If you have a library nearby, go check out as many books on persuasive writing as you can get your hands on.

Most importantly, just write. You are making a huge life-changing decision by applying to graduate school - clearly there is something you are incredibly passionate about. That may be your work, the content of your work, etc. Write about that passion.

On a side note, good luck to 2013 applicants!!!

Thank you for the resources. I had not fully thought of it as equal amounts persuasive essay and personal essay, though in retrospect its obvious. I am graduating with my BFA only next week, so if I am not accepted this round I will try again next year with more time for preparation.