Help with application to Neuroscience PhD program in a unique situation

reyn

Being in a unique situation I'm hoping some one can give me some any advice as I begin my application process.

My background consists of 4 years in the Navy as an electrician, a BS in Environmental Business with a minor in philosophy. Upon completion of my degree I realized I wanted to pursue a PhD in neuroscience, so I began taking chemistry, math, biology, physics, and psychology classes, but not towards any specific degree. I also found a position at a research lab and have been diligently volunteering for approximately 8 months. Where many NS programs do not restrict the entrance to certain bachelor degrees I'm thinking that my lack of a specific discipline focus will hinder my competitiveness.

As for LOR my PI and an old Lt. have said they would write a letter. I'm on the fence about asking a professor in my old program since his field (environmental science) isn't really relevant to NS. Should I ask a random biology/psychology professor whom I received high marks from that I haven't established a rapport with or use my old professor who knows me well?

Also do I stand much of a chance (aiming at state schools) with a current GPA of 3.75 and GRE of V 162 and Q 151.

Thanks for your time

As for LOR my PI and an old Lt. have said they would write a letter. I'm on the fence about asking a professor in my old program since his field (environmental science) isn't really relevant to NS. Should I ask a random biology/psychology professor whom I received high marks from that I haven't established a rapport with or use my old professor who knows me well?

Also do I stand much of a chance (aiming at state schools) with a current GPA of 3.75 and GRE of V 162 and Q 151.

You should ask for people who know you well enough to write you a strong LOR. Don't waste your 3rd letter on someone who know you just for the grade, which reflects on the transcript. Therefore, use your old professor who knows you well, even if he/she may not be in neuroscience.

In terms of the numbers, I think your quantitative is a bit too low. If money and time permits, try to get on or above 80% (Q=+158).

I cannot answer your other questions, but I would suggest you to take more courses in neurosciences (since you didn't mention it on your list).

ps. you can also repost your questions to the biology forum (http://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/29-biology/), where you may get more responses.