Having trouble contacting advisers

alkaline262

I am intending applying to several general biology and molecular biology programs for the fall semester of 2013. I graduated this last May with a bachelors in biology. I have noticed that some schools require me to have a prof agree to advise me before I even send in the application, is this requirement common? I have tried to email about a dozen profs from several different school, but have not established any correspondence. In my email I outline my research experience and express interest in the professor's work; I conclude the email with asking if they have any room for new students. What happens If I cannot get in touch with anyone prior to application, should I just apply anyway?

I really hope I am qualified enough to get an adviser. I worked on 3 research projects during my undergraduate for several semesters, high GPA, and scholarships etc.

Edited by alkaline262

Assuming you aren't being overly vague in your email subject field, and don't have a ridiculous email address (if you still have your .edu handle, use that), there's not too much more you can do. The content of your emails, as well as your credential should be enough to warrant a response. It's possible that so far you've contacted PIs who are not looking to take on more students. Most PIs are up front about their funding at interviews and certainly once you've joined. But they may not wish to announce their situations to a stranger.

I can't speak for general bio (my understanding is that the pre-selected PI format is a bit more common there), but all of the molecular programs I applied to were rotation format for the first year. I am sure that there are some molecular programs out there without rotations, but I didn't come across any in my searches last year.

There are two basic formats to adviser selection. I'm not sure they're typically called "formats", maybe that's why you're confused. But I'm not sure what else to call them. :) The first is as you're describing, where you contact a PI in the application stage and they agree to take you on. The other, more common format is to choose ~3 labs to rotate in during your firsts year, and select an adviser prior to the start of your second year. In this case, you may want to contact PIs prior to application, but it is not a requirement. They might be more inclined to respond as you're not actually asking to be sponsored at that stage.

I would recommend talking to the professors you worked on research for. They'll give you a good description of the application process and will probably also have suggestions (and maybe connections) to labs that you'll be competitive for. Also, non-response on emails is common; I'd recommend politely calling prospective professors and asking if they have time to talk about the future of research in their lab.