Johns Hopkins V. UCSD Sociology PhD???

allmhrt

Please give me any feedback you might have regarding the choice between getting a Sociology PhD at Johns Hopkins (more appropriate curriculum for me in inequality and life course studies, better ranking, good match with faculty, and being near the Obama Administration - I am interested in Social Policy) and UCSD (more appropriate community environment for me (sunshine! - I hate the cold), it's where I want to settle down). I am interested in the inequality track at both schools and I want to pursue a research and teaching career, most likely eventually in the UC system in California. I was accepted to both and I think the funding package will be the same at both schools. Any advice about things I should be aware of at either or both schools would be appreciated!

I was at ucsd for undergrad in the social sciences and I really loved it. BUT, if you want to eventually settle down in san diego or possibly get a job at UCSD, I can tell you now--they rarely if ever hire someone who got their phd from their school.

UCSD has some good faculty in inequality (maria charles off the top of my head) and are very strong in culture and gender, if either of those interest you.

But, if Johns Hopkins is a better fit, go there. The UCs don't give ANY preference to job candidates who got degrees in the UC system.

The advice I have gotten is that you shouldn't go to school near or in the same system that you want to work or settle down. This relates to the idea of academic diversity. Departments want to keep up their vibrancy and keep new ideas and new scholars coming in from different regions. So if you want to eventually work or live in California I would definitely say go to Johns Hopkins.

The advice I have gotten is that you shouldn't go to school near or in the same system that you want to work or settle down. This relates to the idea of academic diversity. Departments want to keep up their vibrancy and keep new ideas and new scholars coming in from different regions. So if you want to eventually work or live in California I would definitely say go to Johns Hopkins.

I third this. I've been told this too, so I'm trying to make sure to pick a school where I specifically would NOT want to ultimately settle.