MIT Comparative Media Studies

Does anybody know some information about MIT's MS in Comparative Media Studies?

I am applying this fall for masters and interested in courses focused on global communication/creative industries with IR basis. I want to study how global communication, especially in creative industries, affects the dynamics of international politics and vice versa, though still not sure whether I want to go for Ph.D or work after graduating master.

While searching various graduate schools, I found MIT's Comparative Media Studies and it seems fascinating. But I couldn't find much information on this course except some provided by the official website. Considering its very small size of class, and very interdisciplinary courses, I am not sure whether this course can go well with my fit, both academically and professionally.

If you have any idea or information, please share with me and all! Many thanks ahead!

• 1 month later...

I visited the program a few years ago (when Henry Jenkins was still there) and I really liked it. It's not to be confused with Media Lab, though. It seemed a lot more theoretical (i.e. more reading Dickens, less playing around with Arduinos). It's also very competitive, so give yourself some other options. I'm now in Georgia Tech's digital media program and I actually think it might be a better fit for me than MIT CMS. There aren't a ton of funded masters degrees in this field, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I visited the program a few years ago (when Henry Jenkins was still there) and I really liked it. It's not to be confused with Media Lab, though. It seemed a lot more theoretical (i.e. more reading Dickens, less playing around with Arduinos). It's also very competitive, so give yourself some other options. I'm now in Georgia Tech's digital media program and I actually think it might be a better fit for me than MIT CMS. There aren't a ton of funded masters degrees in this field, though.

@pourtant, how do you like Georgia Tech's digital media program?

I actually looked into it before and it seemed like all production based program?

I love engaging in a digital production, but I come from more qualitative media research background. The program sounded like also super competitive to get in as well.

Hi @morningdew. I really like GT so far. I wouldn't describe it as all production-based, exactly. Even the project-based classes include theoretical readings and discussions that relate back to the work we are doing, so they do attempt to give everything some grounding. It does seem like we do more hands-on work than MIT-CMS -- actually our department seems to be more in line with Media Lab (although we're a smaller department and don't have as many bells and whistles or recognition).

Since the first semester includes two programming-heavy/project-based classes, I've definitely been working on creating my projects and struggling with code more than I've been focusing on the readings. We haven't been assigned to write a paper, but we probably end up giving 1-2 presentations each week. There is a lot of emphasis on crafting compelling presentations and demos. I should note that the focus of our projects is more about concept and less about code. In future semesters, I'm sure I'll end up taking classes that aren't so focused on the creation of projects and my experience will be a bit different.

Other things that I like: plenty of opportunities to get involved with research groups in your area of interest, PhD students who are really helpful and knowledgable, faculty members who are based in/focused on this department (i.e. not based in CS, or other disciplines and just teaching some digital media courses). I also like that I'll have a nice portfolio of projects to show employers.

Things to watch out for: I find programming REALLY difficult to understand (I have an arts background), so this first semester has been a real struggle. Not everyone gets funding right away and it's not guaranteed when you accept your offer of admission. Some of us got lucky, some didn't. Moving to Georgia from NYC has been an adjustment (although not all bad). Doesn't quite have the cache (or money) of MIT.

Feel free to send me a message if you want more specifics. And sorry for kind of high-jacking this thread about MIT. I think CMS is a really, really cool program. If they had accepted me, I probably would have gone (although, like I said, I'm not sure it would have been the best fit after all). I think it's very hard to find info about many of these media studies/digital media programs because they're small. I highly recommend visiting. I know that MIT has a few days for prospective students which are VERY helpful for getting a sense of the program and the students. We're having an info session in December, and if anyone actually wants to come to GT for a visit on a normal class day, message me.

Thank you very much for the information about CMS as well as GT. I also know that there is Media Lab but I think CMS fits better for me and my research interest. I am an international student so can't have an opportunity to visit on-campus info session but could have a chance to participate in the online info session after I posted this. It was of great help too.