Where do I stand

Geoguy

I hope to be attending the school because I will already have graduate credits, but my advisor recommended me to apply to other schools. My goal is to work in the Petroleum Industry as an exploration geoscientist.

Undergrad Institution: Big State with Ph.D and M. Sc. programs for Geology

Major(s):Geology and Political Science

Minor(s):

GPA in Major:4.0

Overall GPA:3.71

Position in Class: Top

Type of Student: Domestic male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):

Not taken yet. But I have been preparing and anticipate roughly top 80% Q and 60% V.

Research Experience: Started a Senior Thesis this year relating to gas hydrates in the Gulf of Mexico. Helped a graduate student this summer collect electro resistivity data.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Eagle Scout, President's List (twice), two Academic Undergraduate scholarship, acceptance into a dual Accelerated Bachelor's/Graduate Degree Plan where I am able to take graduate courses for credit.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Treasurer of AAPG chapter and another science related club.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: planned a benefit concert that raised $1,400 dollars for a NPO.

Special Bonus Points: Grad Classes, experience with software used in the petroleum industry.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I've held a job all of college at a law firm as a courier and they've given me lots of responsibilities (supplies, events, etc.).

I know the oil companies don't really care about the difference between an MS and PhD, and at this point, with pertinent research and grad coursework it seems like you have the academic experience of a masters already. This all looks more than adequate for big oil to hire you as soon as you get your BS. Why do grad school? Will an MS markedly improve your pay? This may be a discussion to have with your adviser.

Also, a number of your extras (pretty much anything besides the scholarships and software) are unlikely to matter to a graduate admissions committee--undergrad ad comms love that sort of stuff, but faculty looking at grad apps will view much of it as fluff. Add it to your CV, sure, but I don't think it will make a difference. I say this based on talking with the faculty in my program, which could be totally un-reflective of the places you apply, so feel free to ignore me on this! But regardless, what I just said above is not true from a hirer's perspective--all that stuff can speak to who you would be as an employee, and is important to keep in a professional CV.

Edited by Usmivka