2013 Int'l Affairs Applicants (MPP, DEV, SSP, etc)

waltlaa9

Even if there is fellowship information on your acceptance letter, it is still possible to ask for/get additional funding. 

As I'm still in the process of deciding which offer to accept I can only offer my two cents (take it for what it's worth), but you might want to wait until you see what kind of package you get.  If it really is your dream school (which it sounds like this is the case), but you have more financially-compelling offers from others, they might be willing to work with you to ensure you can enroll there. 

Thanks for the input! Well, I actually already sent them my deposit and intent to attend the school, BEFORE seeing my financial aid package, which I saw today. It really doesn't provide any grants or fellowships and is heavily reliant on stafford (unsubsidized) loans. I could probably manage it, but I really don't feel comfortable taking out that much in loans to fund my master's especially in this economy. 

Is there anything I can do at this point given that I've already sent them my initial deposit?

Do you have offers from any other schools?  Either with funding or at schools with lower tuitions?  If I were in your situation I would reach out to someone either on the AdCom or someone who has contacted you as a liaison and just explain your situation.  Obviously you really want to attend their program, otherwise you wouldn't have jumped the gun.  Explain that you really do want to attend but given the costs it might be difficult.  Be polite and honest, I think that goes a long way (they deal with students asking for more funding all the time and can probably read through any "bluffs").  Ask if there are any opportunities for additional funding or if you could be reconsidered for fellowships.

It's worth asking.

I recently heard I was admitted to one of my "dream schools" and in my excitement, sent my notice that I would accept the offer of admission before seeing my financial aid package.

Did I make a big mistake?   :(

I've heard with undergrad, that accepting an offer prematurely can negatively impact your financial aid as it lets the school know they don't need to "compete" for you via aid.

However, is this the case with grad schools?

Just to be sure, I asked a financial aid officer at the school if accepting admission impacts the financial aid package, and she said it doesn't. However, I wonder if she was just stating the "company line," as I've also heard some friends have used admission offers at other schools to negotiate better deals. 

If this will indeed likely negatively impact my aid package, is there anything I can do at this point to get more aid?

I was worried about this as well as I accepted my offer at my top choice program as soon as I got admitted, but I got a merit fellowship two days later and a fellowship from one of the institutes at the school a couple of weeks later.

Do you have offers from any other schools?  Either with funding or at schools with lower tuitions?  If I were in your situation I would reach out to someone either on the AdCom or someone who has contacted you as a liaison and just explain your situation.  Obviously you really want to attend their program, otherwise you wouldn't have jumped the gun.  Explain that you really do want to attend but given the costs it might be difficult.  Be polite and honest, I think that goes a long way (they deal with students asking for more funding all the time and can probably read through any "bluffs").  Ask if there are any opportunities for additional funding or if you could be reconsidered for fellowships.

It's worth asking.

Thanks! I contacted the finaid officer, and they offered that I could try to find some work-study options (I guess we find these on our own?) which could pay a few grand. Granted, it's a drop in the bucket, but every little bit helps at this point.