2013 Int'l Affairs Applicants (MPP, DEV, SSP, etc)

waltlaa9

I've been reading posts on this site for the last year and a half or so and I'm surprised no one has started a thread yet for this year's applicants. I saw a few similar posts on the "Am I Competitive" thread but my intention is to start a thread focusing on those of us who are actually taking the plunge and working on submitting applications. We can eye each other's stats and start the support group :)

I'll start....

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): depends on the school, but I've been honing in on programs that have an emphasis on technical skills and allow me to link security, development, and economics. My decision is based on my long-term interests in forced migration and humanitarian policy & research.

Schools Applying/Applied To: Princeton WWS (MPA), Duke Sanford (MPP), JHU SAIS, GWU Elliot (M.A. SPS), Georgetown (torn between between the Security Studies Program and SFS-Global Human Dev., still deciding), Tufts Fletcher = 6 [maybe I should reduce it to 5?]

Schools Admitted To: n/a

Schools Rejected From: n/a

Still Waiting: all

Undergraduate institution: small private liberal arts college

Undergraduate GPA: 3.9

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable):

Undergraduate Major: International Relations & German; minors in Poli Sci & Music (Summa Cum Laude, President's Prizes in both IR and German, two honor societies)

GRE Quantitative Score: 157 [77% (meh - does anyone think this is bad?)]

GRE Verbal Score: 167 (98 %)

GRE AW Score: 5.5 (96%)

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 3 years

Years of Work Experience: 2 years professional work experience + internships/volunteer experience

Describe Relevant Work Experience and International Experience: I'm currently a program director in a refugee resettlement agency, and before promotion I worked as a case manager (2yrs+)

I took a gap year right after college to travel and get some international experience. It was sort of hacked together -- I had a legal aid services internship in Kenya (3 months), and volunteered FT at a street kids' rehab center in Colombia (4 1/2 months), and was a a Rotary Cultural Scholar in Germany (3 months). My time in Kenya and Colombia has served me well as I now work with refugees from the Kenyan camps and some Colombians.

Grasping at everything I can here - I spent a summer in Ecuador during college (not study abroad0 and did a brief winter term in China. Also was an ESL volunteer and intern with a refugee resettlement agency during/after college.

Languages: intermediate Spanish and rusty German (was once pretty advanced). Studied Russian as well. I've always been better at the grammar and reading/writing portion of my language studies and becoming fluent has been difficult for me. I'm not a talker.

Quant: Intro to Macro and Micro, Intermed Micro, Int'l Trade & Business, Statistics I. As far as math courses go, the last serious one I took was pre-cal in high school (short-sighted of me, I know). Not sure how much that will hurt me, but at least I have some kind of background in econ.

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I'm still working on this. I am going to focus on how my work with refugees has prompted me to pursue this degree and how each program will give me the tools I need. Seems pretty straight forward. I also want to emphasize the wealth of management experience I've gained in such a short time (have already navigated handling sudden resignations, hiring processes, funding crises, a State Dept monitoring -- it's been a ride).

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): I'll have one academic reference from my IR professor and one professional reference from my direct supervisor. Still considering who I'm going to ask for the 3rd but am scoping out people I regularly interact with via email/phone/conferences at Home Office...

Other: I am SO stressed about grad school debt. I am really hoping that my management experience and clear professional trajectory will put me in a good position to receive some funding.

Edited by waltlaa9

• 2 weeks later...

Schools Applying/Applied To: HKS, WWS, Fletcher, Maxwell, IUB-SPEA

Schools Admitted To:

Schools Rejected From:

Still Waiting:

Undergraduate institution: Top 50 LAC

Undergraduate GPA: 3.5

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): definitely better than the overall (first year wasn't great)

Undergraduate Major: Polisci & Spanish double major

GRE Quantitative Score: 156

GRE Verbal Score: 165

GRE AW Score: 4.5

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): graduated 2009

Years of Work Experienc: 3+

Describe Relevant Work Experience and International Experience: 2 years Peace Corps in central america (HIV/AIDS), afterwards got hired as national project coordinator for an NGO working with HIV patients (1 year), 3 month summer internship in rural Nicaragua, semester study abroad in Spain

Languages: Spanish (fluent, my current job is 100% in spanish)

Quant: took research methods in college (SPSS & stata training) but no other quant b/c i had AP credit for calc

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): Working on it...trying to make connection between the theory i learned in the classroom with the practice I have had in the field

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): My professional will be my PC project director, Academic my Research Methods professor will take about my Quant ability his class, 3rd LOR is still a wild card I have 3 possibilities...Director of the Center for Public Service at my college (I participated in a number of their programs, she wrote my PC rec), my IR professor (always liked me personally, was my adviser for my Honors thesis, my grades in her classes were good, not great), or my current boss (the work I'm doing current is really cool, helping to re-write policy and leading a coalition of several major NGOs, but she doesn't speak english and i'm a little worried about her ability to write a focused LOR).

Other:

• 1 month later...

Schools Applying/Applied To: HKS, SIS, Fletcher, SAIS, Elliott, Walsh MSFS, maybe SIPA

Still Waiting: Fletcher early admissions

Undergraduate institution: Ohio State University

Undergraduate GPA: 3.78

Undergraduate Major: World Economy and Business, East Asian Studies, Chinese

GRE Quantitative Score: 160

GRE Verbal Score: 158

GRE AW Score: 5

Years of Work Experienc: Three internships: Ohio Homeland Security analyst intern, Translating internship for international news company, International Institute for Strategic Studies (DC office)

Describe Relevant Work Experience and International Experience: 2 years living in China, Semester at Sea summer 2011, Beijing Language and Culture University Summer language program.

Languages: Heritage speaker of Chinese and Chinese major

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): First generation American college student, came to OSU looking to change the campus and help make a difference. Want to focus on leadership on campus seeing that i have no out of school work experience. Since 2009, founding member/president of an Acappella group that helped OSU start its acappella scene, Chairman of the Dean's student advisory board, rock climbing instructor at our climbing wall as well as public relations supervisor, mentor to a fourth grader, and chinese language tutor.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): Again, seeing my professional experience is lacking I will have to use my professors and internship coordinators. First is my advisor for four years who has helped me get all my internships and knows me very well. 2nd is my professor in Washington, DC of whom used to be the dean to a small liberal arts college and currently runs an osu internship program in DC. 3rd will be the assistant to osu's arts and sciences dean of whom I now from working on the advisory board.

Schools Applying To: MPP/MPAs - Brown (Taubman), Chicago (Harris), Columbia (SIPA), Cornell (CIPA), Georgetown (GSFS), Johns Hopkins (SAIS), Penn (Fels), UCLA (Luskin), USC (Price)

Undergraduate institution: Los Angeles Pierce College ---> transferred to University of Southern California (USC) - Fight On! - on full academic scholarship

Undergraduate GPA: Cumulative - 3.5, At USC - 3.2ish (blech)

Undergraduate Majors: Philosophy, Politics, and Law (PPL - modeled after Oxford's PPE program)

Study Abroad: None

GRE: Prospective average based on tests - 164 (Q), 162 (V), 5 (W)

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): None - graduating senior - but I worked for 4 years after high school before deciding to go to college, and have been working full-time all throughout undergrad (see below)

Years of Relevant Work Experience: 6 years of full-time work, see below for full explanation

Describe Relevant Work Experience: A bit lengthy, I'll try to be brief:

1. Co-Founder and Operations Director, 2006-Present, uFish: Started a nonprofit program (uFish) my senior year of high school. Program is a 10 week curriculum aimed at the job training, employment, and life skills education of at-risk and homeless youths in Los Angeles (15-27 yrs old). In my 6 years as co-founder and Operations Director, over 250 kids have gained employment and at least 135 could be identified as no longer being impoverished or at-risk. At uFish, we have partnered with the Salvation Army, Pointe Hope Foundation, Homeboy Industries, People for Parks, and the Sheila Kar Foundation for projects and collaborations. I was homeless as a kid after my parents' divorce - goal is for it to not happen to anyone ever again.

2. President and Executive Director - Students for Obama, California: Students for Obama is the official student wing of the Obama for America re-election campaign. I was a volunteer, then bumped to Political Director, and then Executive Director since July 2011. Over 8000 members, over 70K new voter registrees in CA, raised over $192K towards the President's campaign. (Stoked about the election results of course).

3. Presidential Delegate to the Democratic National Convention 2012 from Congressional District 30 - Was voted as a delegate through normal means election last year. Went to the DNC in Charlotte and chaired the platform writing committee. One of the better experiences of my life.

4. Political Editor at Sonic Eclectic Magazine - first just a contributing writer, then political columnist, and now political editor.

Languages: English (native), Farsi (Advanced), French (Intermediate), Spanish (Intermediate)

Quant: Economics (Macro and Micro), probably taking Calculus next semester.

Strength of SOP: My SOP should be good, I suppose. I'm a fairly good writer, however I have not committed an incredible amount of time to it, or had it edited by super-qualified people. I'm focusing more on being direct and honest about my life, my work, and my goals - all of which are fairly straightforward.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): 1 from Salvation Army Director (non-profit insight), 1 from a Philosophy Professor (academic insight), and 1 from the Executive Director of OFA-CA (Obama for America - California) (political/community organizing insight)

If anyone has any comments, concerns, insight on schools I probably will not be getting into, or really anything at all - I am very open to any criticism or information from people who inevitably have a fair amount of experience with this process.

Thanks and best of luck to all.

All the Best,

Thelongshot

Edited by Thelongshot

Hey waltlaa9 you have a strong profile I think, especially given your age. I am 26 an have also a strong interest in forced migration / refugees issues but should have only 2 years of working experience in that by the time I'll be studying again -if I get admitted. I think you should focus on Princeton if you're scared about the debt and possibly take a look at the Graduate Institute in Geneva -they also have lots of funding opportunities-. If you are strongly interested in "forced migration" besides you might want to take a look at Oxford University.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey KeyofC, while work experience isn't required for admissions at the schools you are applying for most successful applicants have 2 - 3yrs work experience. maybe you should check out fletcher's map your future program.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Schools Applying/Applied To: WWS,HKS, GSPP, Maxwell, WSFS, ESPA, Trachtenberg

Still Waiting: All

Undergraduate institution: Top university in Ghana
Undergraduate GPA: 3.51
Undergraduate Major: Accounting

GRE Quantitative Score: 160
GRE AW Score: 3.5 (yuck!!!)

Years of Work Experienc: 5+

Describe Relevant Work Experience and International Experience: I currently do not have any full-time direct experience in development policy and administration. But I have plenty of volunteer experience both during college and working. I worked with a Big 4 audit firm after college before moving into banking. I've travelled well in Africa and Asia, and currently working in Singapore.

Languages: English + native (fluent in both), basic knowledge of German and Mandarin

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I have no direct experience that I can rely on to demonstrate my commitment to public service. So what I did was to talk about my volunteer experience both past and present, my international travel experience and essentially my reason for switching careers from accounting and banking to public service. Yes, I know, it took me five years to finally come to terms with the fact that that's where I belong.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): I have two strong professional recommendations from one supervisor and one talent manager. They were very enthusiastic about my decision and even encouraging regarding the expected switch in career. I'm not too sure about my academic recommendation though.

Schools Applying/Applied To: SAIS, Georgetown, Fletcher, GW, American

Still Waiting: All

Undergraduate institution: University of South Florida
Undergraduate GPA: 3.87
Undergraduate Major: International Studies

GRE Quantitative Score: 143
GRE Verbal Score: 156
GRE AW Score: 3.0

Years of Work Experience: 11
Describe Relevant Work Experience and International Experience: I spent about 9 years after high school managing and playing in two different moderately successful bands. Also, I spent a year and a half interning for a Tampa Bay area non-profit that works with DOS on a cultural diplomacy program, and concurrently worked as an intern on an economic research project designed to promote U.S.- Mexico trade in the Gulf region. Spent a year living in Brazil as a kid (half Brazilian) and 6 weeks in Italy studying Italian. Personal travel: 14 countries on 4 continents, but I guess they don't take personal travel into account. 

Quant Background: Principles of Microeconomics (A); Principles of Macroeconomics (A); International Economics  (should have been B+, but professor didn't use plus/minus system). 

Languages: Took intermediate-level Italian, but I've gotten a bit rusty. A year in Bologna would certainly get me to proficiency, though (hint, hint). 

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I was really insecure about my rough draft, but I had a family member, who is a really good writer, help me organize my thoughts more concisely, and now I'm actually pretty excited about it. Given my very non-traditional background and age, I had an unusual and long story to tell. The challenge was trying to persuade the reader that, despite seeming worlds away from IR, the professional and personal skills I developed during my music career and my internships are transferable to my desired post-graduate school career, and that school X can best provide me with the resources I need to transition. I think I did that well, particularly with SAIS.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): I haven't seen them, obviously, but I have no doubt that all three were tops. One is from my former supervisor for both internships. The other two are from former professors, one of whom is an alum of the school I really want to go to. 

Long story short: Other than the GRE scores, I feel like I've got a really compelling, unique application. These programs claim to value diversity, so we shall see what happens. Fingers crossed. 
Edited by The Mark

Schools Applying/Applied To: American SIS- U.S Foreign Policy (Putting all my money on one hand :unsure: )

Still Waiting: All

Undergraduate institution: St. Mary's University, Texas
Undergraduate GPA: 3.63
Undergraduate Major: Double, Political Science and International Relations

GRE Quantitative Score: 148
GRE Verbal Score: 148
GRE AW Score: 4.0

Years of Work Experience: n/a
Describe Relevant Work Experience and International Experience: n/a

Quant Background: Macroeconomics(B+), Calculus (A)

Languages: Spanish, Fluent

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I wrote the whole thing then realized it wasn't what I really wanted to say and just sat down and wrote something really good, I think. I spoke about being a first-generation college student and pursuing my childhood dreams. I think it is a solid letter.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): I think they're probably going to be good. One is from the Dean of Students of my university, who documents my leadership and academic abilities, and I also have one from a professor who got her Ph.D at a young age that can hopefully help me with the age issue.

Am I worrying too much or no?: My GPA is a plus, as well as my LOR, SOP, and fluency in Spanish. However, I think my GRE scores and experience could seriously hurt me. Do you think my age can negatively affect me? Some advice please!!!

Schools Applying/Applied To: USC (MPA), University of Washington (MPA), University of Oregon (MPA), Portland State University (MPA).

Undergraduate institution: St. Cloud State University, MN
Undergraduate GPA: 3.9
Undergraduate Major: Sociology and Planning & Community Development

GRE Quantitative Score: 152
GRE AW Score: 4.0

Years of Work Experience: 1 to 3 Depending on what you consider work experience
Describe Relevant Work Experience and International Experience: Throughout my undergraduate career I worked closely with a non-profit organization that raised funds for children orphaned by HIV/AIDS in Kenya so that they would be able to receive an education at a boarding school created by a profession at my undergraduate institution. I was president of a student organization (that I helped create) that was their main fundraising arm. I spent approximately 3 years working with this organization. For the last semester of my undergraduate work I interned at a regional foundation where I focused on assisting the 160 cities in our 14 county region with community and economic development programs and grants. Upon my graduation I was hired as a community development associate at this foundation, although because I will be attending graduate school in the fall this is set up as a temporary position that will run through the summer.

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I think my SOP turned out very well. I am committed to public service and have great passion for non-profit work which I believe I conveyed. The entire reason I chose the programs I did was because of their strong non-profit management specializations. I highlighted the work experience I have (limited though it may be) and spoke to the necessity of additional education and training to achieve my professional goals.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): I have only seen 1 of the 3 that I submitted (two are from professors, and one is from my current boss). The one that I was allowed to see was from a professor who I hadn’t had in class for awhile (although he is my advisor for my sociology major) which worried me, but he described me as being in the top 1% of students he has ever had in his social theory class. Being that this was the recommendation I was most concerned with I would say I am sitting very well in this category. My other professor and boss love me, and honestly I think that my recommendations will be one of the strongest aspects of my application.

Long story short: I didn’t go to the best undergraduate school and my GRE scores aren’t exemplary (although they meet all of the averages for each of the schools I have applied to), but I honestly believe that my applications will be successful because of my hard work, passion, and the amazing professional relationships that I have struck with my recommenders. That said, I am not so confident that this period of waiting is an easy one. I cannot wait until schools start to make their decisions. Good luck everyone.

Schools Applying/Applied To: SIPA (MIA), Fletcher (MALD), SAIS (MA), Yale Jackson, Texas LBJ School (MGPS)

Undergraduate institution: Dual degree in top French engineering schools - Supelec, Paris, and IFP School Paris
Undergraduate GPA: 3.5 (but not really relevant considering we're on very different systems)
Undergraduate Major: Electrical engineering & energy economics

GRE Quantitative Score: 161
GRE Verbal Score: 163
GRE AW Score: 4.0

Years of Work Experience: 1
Describe Relevant Work Experience and International Experience: I have worked one-year full-time in a global energy company in Paris, at the end of my Master. They were sponsoring me for the program at IFP School, giving me full tuition + a stipend while I was studying. I worked as an analyst in the economic studies team within the Strategy Departement.

I also was President of a Student Organization focused on international academic cooperation in Europe. I was responsible for organizing a one week seminar with 50 european students from 25 different countries on energy security issues.

I have also been an intern at EDF (the French electricity company) for two-month, studying the issues of the electrical sector in China. 

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): Finally come out with a strong SoP from my point of view. I have had numerous and significant international experiences, and I'm pursuing this master to gain a multidiscplinary approach on international development issues, with a focus on energy issues. It will definitely complement the technical background I have, which is hopefully an asset, as it will bring diversity to the program.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): Two letters are pretty strong, one from my direct supervisor (who also happen to have recently been appointed Chief of Strategy of the company), one from the head of my program at IFP School. The last one is from my Macroeconomy professor, but it's rather short and very general. It doesn't say much about me, apart from the high grades I earned in this class. And the writing is not that good ...

Long story short: Well, I really have trouble judging my competitiveness for entrance in Grad school in the US. Clearly my main weakness is my lack of work experience (only 1 year). My unusual background, with a strong emphasis on energy issues can be an asset though, I hope.

Schools Applying/Applied To: HKS, WWS, Yale Jackson, SIPA, Tufts Fletcher, SAIS, LBJ

Undergraduate institution: University of Massachusetts at Amherst

Undergraduate GPA: 3.79

Undergraduate Major: Political Science

GRE Quantitative Score: 159
GRE Verbal Score: 162
GRE AW Score: 5.0

Years of Work Experience: 6
Describe Relevant Work Experience and International Experience: Military intelligence officer. Assignments in Korea and Germany. Deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan. Jobs included operational analysis, unit level support, information operations. In addition to work, I have volunteered about 80 hours for a few groups in my local area.

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): Created a few drafts, gaining feedback from my own undergrad professors as well as a prof who teaches in my current local area. Wrote about the motivation I have toward my current job and public service in general, my approach toward leadership issues, courses/professors/programs at each university that were of interest to me, and my overall goals.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): One letter comes from my former military commander, the second from a senior intelligence analyst at a three letter agency, and the third from an undergrad professor. All three know me pretty well and have made positive remarks about my work in the past. I read just one of the letters and was pretty happy about the format and content.

Long story short: I am glad I started the application process early, because applying to this many schools has been a rather time-consuming exercise.  Just gathering up records and contacting writers for LORs has been a headache. I was originally going to apply to Georgetown PPI and Maxwell as well, but at this point I think seven schools is enough. In any event, I'm pretty excited about getting back into acadamia for a couple years and then exploring the 2015 job market.

Good luck to everyone else over the next few months.

Hey, I am a Senior, applying to just a few schools this time around for IR/ International development : Brandeis (they're waving my application fee), Korbel School, and Tufts MALD - Map Your Future (eliminates the work requirement and asks the applicant to acquire 2 years of work experience before actually coming to study). I figure I don't have a shot at the big ones like Georgetown, SAIS, etc. considering my lack of full-time work experience. Anyway, here are my stats:

Applying to: Fletcher, Korbel, Brandeis
Type of Undergrad: Large state school
Field of Study: Majors in Political Science, International Studies, and Spanish. Minors in History and Economics
GPA: 3.82 (will be a 3.83 after this semester), definite upward trend
GRE: 170V, 162Q, 5.0Aw
Relevant Experience: Studied abroad in Spain, lived in Myanmar for 2 years as a child, Interned in the Education Office of a U.S. Senator, In leadership for my University's college Democrats, 4 years of involvement with a small 501c3 non-profit called Hope 4 Africa (very small, but it has done tangible things: we have 10 clubs at different schools and universities across the country, have raised more than $40,000 for schools in Kenya) - I have always been very high up in the leadership of this organization, which I think is unique, despite its small size
Letters of Recommendation: Strong, I believe. One from a Board Member of Hope 4 Africa, 1 from my Honors Senior Project Advisor (project is on education and development), and 1 from a current Korbel professor in International Development who taught me at my undergrad.
Statement of Purpose: In my opinion, fairly strong. I'm a pretty good writer and I tailored each to fit the program, but who knows?
Language: Native English and Very advanced Spanish
Quantitative: Decent GRE Quant score, minor in Economics (4.0 GPA), Calculus
Other Achievements: National Merit Scholar, Phi Kappa Phi, Member of my college's Honors Program

Any input on what my chances are would be great. Am I right to forego applications to programs like Georgetown and SAIS this time around? I was planning on applying there if I don't get in to schools now; I would work for 2 years then apply to all of the bigwigs, I suppose.

Schools Applying/Applied To: HKS, WWS, Yale Jackson, SIPA, Tufts Fletcher, SAIS, Columbia SIPA, Penn Fels, Stanford IPS, Georgetown MASSP

Schools Admitted To: 
Schools Rejected From: 

Undergraduate institution: Ivy

Undergraduate GPA: 3.56

Undergraduate Major: International Relations and Psychology

GRE Quantitative Score: 156
GRE Verbal Score: 170

Years of Work Experience: 5
Describe Relevant Work Experience and International Experience: Military intel officer (nice to see more than one of us on here!); State Department and non-profit internships. 

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I have some pretty decent examples of leadership and performing under pressure but I think my final draft may be a little impersonal. 

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): The ones from my current boss and my former commander are both detailed and really positive. I have one from an undergrad professor but I'm not sure how decent it is. 

Long story short: I'm actually applying for a joint degree, trying to get a JD as well so I'm going through all the waiting twice! 

• 2 weeks later...

Schools Applying/Applied To: Monterey, Korbel, SIS, Fletcher, and SIPA

Schools Admitted To: Monterey and Korbel
Schools Rejected From: 
Still Waiting: SIS, SIPA, Fletcher

Undergraduate institution: GWU Elliott School

Undergraduate GPA: 3.19 (does not include study abroad average of 4.0 and has upward trend with Dean's list in junior and senior years)

Undergraduate Major: International Relations with minor in French

Foreign Languages: French, Japanese, Ukrainian

GRE Quantitative Score: 150 (let's just not talk about it)
GRE Verbal Score: 163
GRE AW Score: 4.5

Years of Work Experience: 3
Describe Relevant Work Experience and International Experience: Peace Corps Volunteer and study abroad in Geneva

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I think my SOP was pretty strong. Had a hard time fitting everything in to the SIPA one and thus not expecting to get in. I'm thinking my PC experience will be a big help. 

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): The LOR from my manager at PC is really amazing. My counterpart also wrote a very strong letter. Academic reference is from a professor prominent in IR and human rights, but I have no idea what she wrote.

Long story short: Already accepted to two great schools. Don't even know what I will do if I'm accepted to more. 

Hey, I am a Senior, applying to just a few schools this time around for IR/ International development : Brandeis (they're waving my application fee), Korbel School, and Tufts MALD - Map Your Future (eliminates the work requirement and asks the applicant to acquire 2 years of work experience before actually coming to study). I figure I don't have a shot at the big ones like Georgetown, SAIS, etc. considering my lack of full-time work experience. Anyway, here are my stats:

Applying to: Fletcher, Korbel, Brandeis

Type of Undergrad: Large state school

Field of Study: Majors in Political Science, International Studies, and Spanish. Minors in History and Economics

GPA: 3.82 (will be a 3.83 after this semester), definite upward trend

GRE: 170V, 162Q, 5.0Aw

Relevant Experience: Studied abroad in Spain, lived in Myanmar for 2 years as a child, Interned in the Education Office of a U.S. Senator, In leadership for my University's college Democrats, 4 years of involvement with a small 501c3 non-profit called Hope 4 Africa (very small, but it has done tangible things: we have 10 clubs at different schools and universities across the country, have raised more than $40,000 for schools in Kenya) - I have always been very high up in the leadership of this organization, which I think is unique, despite its small size

Letters of Recommendation: Strong, I believe. One from a Board Member of Hope 4 Africa, 1 from my Honors Senior Project Advisor (project is on education and development), and 1 from a current Korbel professor in International Development who taught me at my undergrad.

Statement of Purpose: In my opinion, fairly strong. I'm a pretty good writer and I tailored each to fit the program, but who knows?

Language: Native English and Very advanced Spanish

Quantitative: Decent GRE Quant score, minor in Economics (4.0 GPA), Calculus

Other Achievements: National Merit Scholar, Phi Kappa Phi, Member of my college's Honors Program

Any input on what my chances are would be great. Am I right to forego applications to programs like Georgetown and SAIS this time around? I was planning on applying there if I don't get in to schools now; I would work for 2 years then apply to all of the bigwigs, I suppose.

Definitely do not sale yourself out from the so called 'bigwig schools'. I was accepted to all the bigwigs except SAIS and I am currently doing my 1st MA in Budapest and then will return to SFS to do my 2nd MA this fall and BOTH are fully funded. Never ever think that just because you don't have WORK EXPERIENCE that you are not a competitive applicant.  The bigger picture in the world of admissions is that the job market and industry is going through a whirlwind, therefore continuing in academia is a viable option so they are seeing higher percentages of recent college grads (with little to no exp) applying to grad school immediately (it's a normal ordeal now!).  Best of luck to you though, remember this for the future and spread the word to your peers as well.

Programs Applied to: UT Austin-LBJ (MGPS), Texas A&M-Bush (MPIA), UK-Patterson (M.A.)

Awaiting Reply from: ALL

Undergrad: Top 10 Public (UC)

Undergrad GPA: 3.1

Undergrad Major(s): History and Political Science

Law School: Low Tier

Law School GPA: 2.6

GRE Verbal: 161

GRE Quant.: 156

GRE AW: 5.0

Language(s): 5+ years of Spanish.

Years of Work Experience: 5 since law school

Relevant Work Experince: Internship with UN in Africa (Rwanda), Deputy D.A. and current Deputy A.G. with significant prosecutorial and litigation experience in state and federal court.

Strength of SOP: Strong.

Strength of LORs: Strong, albeit all work-related.

Concern(s): Whether practical public sector work experience and solid GRE scores will trump low undergrad GPA and even lower law school GPA?  My thoughts: passing the bar exam on the first attempt and thereafter gaining coveted work experience in the public sector should place numerical indicators in perspective.

Edited by BackToSchool

Schools Applying/Applied To: SIPA, Korbel, SIS

Schools Admitted To:
Schools Rejected From: 
Still Waiting: SIS, SIPA, Korbel

Undergraduate institution: UNC Chapel Hill

Undergraduate GPA: 3.68 (3.75 in Global Studies and 3.6 in Political Science) [Thanks Biology and intro to Poetry for tanking my GPA]

Undergraduate Major: Global Stuies/Political Science/African Studies minor

Foreign Languages: Kiswahili, French, Spanish

GRE Quantitative Score: 160
GRE Verbal Score: 164

Years of Work Experience: 0.5
Describe Relevant Work Experience and International Experience: Volunteered at the Kenya Human Rights Commission in Nairobi this past summer as well as serving as a Research Assistant second semester of my Junior year (on the Arab Spring).

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): To be honest, I rushed my first two apps, so the only SOP I feel happy about is SIPA.  I have trouble with open-ended SOPs, thus Columbia's was a lot easier for me to write on.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): All of my LOR are solid.  One of mine is from a highly regarded professor here who has done work assisting with various constitutions (Egypt, South Sudan, etc.) and writes editorials for the New York Times.

Long story short: Don't really expect to get in to any of these schools without work experience.  Thought I'd give it a shot as I'd much rather get all of my schooling out of the way and not have to go back after entering the working world.

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MA/MALD/MIA
Schools Applying To: SFS, SAIS, SIPA, Fletcher

Undergraduate institution: Ivy
Undergraduate GPA: 3.2 
Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): 3.5

Undergraduate Majors: Political Science, minor in Economics 

GRE Quantitative Score: 153
GRE Verbal Score: 161
GRE AW Score: 4.5

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 1 year
Years of Work Experience: 1-3(?)
Describe Relevant Work Experience: Internships at a U.S. Senator's office, a small microfinance investment organization and a large international human rights organization during school (3 months, 13 months and 5 months, respectively). 1 year fellowship abroad in a developing country (currently in progress) providing consulting services to low-cost private schools.
Languages: English, Spanish
Quant: Economics Minor - did fairly well but not stellar. I did very well in Econometrics and took graduate level courses in international trade, public finance and political economy as well as financial accounting. 

Strength of SOP: Very strong based on multi-sector experience in international development (finance, governance, education) and tying in lessons learned abroad and as a NCAA Division 1 student-athlete. I think the analytical essay to SAIS is one of the strongest essays that I wrote, because it was focused on a sector that many are not aware of and its implications. 

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): Senior seminar professor, supervisor at human rights organization, current fellowship field manager. My supervisor at the human rights organization let me read the letter that she wrote and it went above and beyone what I expected. I haven't seen the other two but I'm hoping that they are of the same quality.

Long story short: I'm not totally sold on going next year unless I get into a two or three of the very few schools to which I applied, so that I can weigh options and choose one based on fit.  For the most part, I applied for this cycle because I think that all of the requisite bases have been covered. 

If you have any suggestions or comments, please feel free to share. 

• 2 weeks later...
Schools Applying/Applied To: Oxford MPP ( Didn't have enough money to pay for other applications)

Still Waiting: Oxford

Undergraduate institution: UK Top 10
Undergraduate GPA:  First Class Honors (top 5%?)
Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): Eeeps Upper Second! Its falling! I've yet to graduate, so I've still got some time to piece things back together.
Undergraduate Major: Finance, accounting and management

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): Final year
Years of Work Experience: 0

Describe Relevant Work Experience and International Experience:
Policy research and project management internship in the Prime Minister's agency, selected from a thousand odd applicants to be placed in the programme. Agency is human capital related. Was chairman, deputy chair and organizer for various large scale charity and welfare projects at university (related to refugee, famine victims and animal welfare). Beneficiaries range from as little as one (animal) to 10 000 individuals. Currently still serving as Councillor and representative for my school. Participated in national policy competition and won a prize, and policy recommendation was sent to the relevant govt agency for consideration. Prior to that I was invited by the director of same agency to give my opinions for a few policy reforms. A member of a Peace Corps equivalent organization ( we don't call it Peace Corps here), trained and qualified for domestic and international missions. Some of my activities involve cooperating with UNHCR to some minor extent. An RA for the country's political and media transparency research, real time analysis to be published daily in newspapers, everyday for the month preceding the elections. Represented the country for an MUN competition and won a prize too, but no longer an active delegate since costs are self funded. I've authored a policy analysis with a friend as the council's bargaining chip when a policy change resulted in a student riot. I am a guide contributor for the student magazine and an ambassador for the university. 

I've worked at an investment bank and a project management company as well. Started off as a waitress though!

I don't have the luxury of interning abroad due to family circumstances.

Languages: English, Japanese, Mandarin, Cantonese and my national language (keeping this confidential)

Quant: I'm a Finance major lol. The usual run of the mill stats, calc, econometrics and graduate research methods (and amateur stata + spss)

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): An honest trials and tribulations story. I illustrated a few policy injustices that I've been a victim to in life, and how my undergraduate studies in commerce give me an edge in making pragmatic, market-sensible policies for capitalist countries. My thesis is on policies too, received funding for it. My policy essay is an excerpt from my policy competition entry. Leveraged much on the insider census info and stats I was given to by the National Policy Institution.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): Oxford stipulates that all LORs have to be academic. Got the undergrad director to write one really nice one for me. 2 more were written by others, but have substantial credibility in this field.

Other: Am recipient of 1 scholarship and 1 bursary, both internally awarded and on merit basis. Was in the deans list (top 5% for the the uk, in contrast to the american system we don't exactly have a president's list), awarded a few book prizes and topped the class for a few terms (not anymore! D:) I didn't list down anything in my CV that predates college. I love marathons and console games! Placed in a speed track class and therefore my degree only spans 2.4 years. I am currently in the process of receiving 2 more awards for co curricular excellence.

In any case I fail to bag full sponsorship or even get in( I really don't have the ability to pay and my family is in dire straits anyway), I'll be spending a few years out in the labour market. I already have an offer from a good think tank, if that's consolation :(

Edited by CrappyCat

• 1 month later...

I recently heard I was admitted to one of my "dream schools" and in my excitement, sent my notice that I would accept the offer of admission before seeing my financial aid package.

Did I make a big mistake?   :(

I've heard with undergrad, that accepting an offer prematurely can negatively impact your financial aid as it lets the school know they don't need to "compete" for you via aid.

However, is this the case with grad schools?

Just to be sure, I asked a financial aid officer at the school if accepting admission impacts the financial aid package, and she said it doesn't. However, I wonder if she was just stating the "company line," as I've also heard some friends have used admission offers at other schools to negotiate better deals. 

If this will indeed likely negatively impact my aid package, is there anything I can do at this point to get more aid?

Depends. Is it a school that doesn't offer you the fellowship in the admissions letter than maybe it could have impacted it. However, I knew my fellowship information based off the letter so I knew it wouldn't make a difference and accepted right away.

Depends. Is it a school that doesn't offer you the fellowship in the admissions letter than maybe it could have impacted it. However, I knew my fellowship information based off the letter so I knew it wouldn't make a difference and accepted right away.

Even if there is fellowship information on your acceptance letter, it is still possible to ask for/get additional funding. 

I recently heard I was admitted to one of my "dream schools" and in my excitement, sent my notice that I would accept the offer of admission before seeing my financial aid package.

Did I make a big mistake?   :(

I've heard with undergrad, that accepting an offer prematurely can negatively impact your financial aid as it lets the school know they don't need to "compete" for you via aid.

However, is this the case with grad schools?

Just to be sure, I asked a financial aid officer at the school if accepting admission impacts the financial aid package, and she said it doesn't. However, I wonder if she was just stating the "company line," as I've also heard some friends have used admission offers at other schools to negotiate better deals. 

If this will indeed likely negatively impact my aid package, is there anything I can do at this point to get more aid?

As I'm still in the process of deciding which offer to accept I can only offer my two cents (take it for what it's worth), but you might want to wait until you see what kind of package you get.  If it really is your dream school (which it sounds like this is the case), but you have more financially-compelling offers from others, they might be willing to work with you to ensure you can enroll there.