Loyola Chicago

Thanks Adverbially--what is your focus of study? Would you be doing the modern lit and culture PhD? I was informed that they determine who is accepted off of the wait list by who doesn't accept the offer, i.e., if someone doesn't accept who is going for the modern program then I am more likely to be accepted since that is my concentration. Also, if you wouldn't mind telling, what kind of funding package did you receive? Their website says that they give $14,000 stipends, which seems really low for Chicago. You can pm me if you don't want to post it.

Hadunc,

If funding is trouble, then you might want to consider marrying rich in the next few months. I'm pretty sure that's the only way to survive. Loans are for suckers, sugar mama's (or daddy's, depending on your preference) make sure that you can live out you graduate school experience in style. Come to think of it, since there are all of those FastWeb webpages that help you find scholarships and grants, someone should make a dating website: "Do you have lots of money? Want some bookish arm-candy to impress your friends at important events? Then come to our website!"

As of yet, I haven't thought of a clever name for the website, so I'm accepting suggestions. Also, if you steal this idea, I require you to pay for my grad school.

• 2 weeks later...
How did you guys know your status? I haven't heard anything from them yet ...

I received my notification in the mail. From what I understand, that's how they usually do it. The fact that you haven't heard is probably a good thing. You might very well be on their "pending" list, the list of people they will accept immediately if others turn down their offers. I realize this sounds like a wait list, but apparently it's not. Go figure.

• 2 weeks later...

has anybody gotten an offer of funding yet from loyola? i am still waiting to hear if i am admitted or denied...but i was wondering what the funding package might look like (i.e. how much money and how many classes do you teach).

has anybody gotten an offer of funding yet from loyola? i am still waiting to hear if i am admitted or denied...but i was wondering what the funding package might look like (i.e. how much money and how many classes do you teach).

I'm waitlisted, but in researching the school I've found this: It's about $14k a year and when you do start teaching it's a 1/1 load (I think--one student referred to it as a very humane teaching load). Health care is 100% paid for except for spouses (and that seems to be a couple hundred a semester). Hope that helps.

I think the stipend has actually been bumped up to 16,500. It seems their website is a little out of date. Not a huge difference but certainly helps. And also Loyola does make a point of keeping the workload low for their TAs.