Extracurriculars on CV

I'm not going to be applying to grad school any time soon, seeing as I don't graduate from my bachelor's program until 2014, but I figure there's no such thing as too soon when putting together all the things needed for applications.

Since I'm a transfer student, assume that by the time I graduate I will have been involved in all listed activities for two years, with the exception of Sigma Tau Delta, which will be three semesters because you have to have taken two English courses in residence at my school to officially join.

So, now for the list:

Sigma Tau Delta, which is an international English honors society.

Teaching Writing Club

Creative Writing Club

University-wide Curriculum Committee

Also, I'm involved in a club for any English major at my school either interested in going to grad school or already in the school's M.A. program.

Would any of these ECs help me out if I listed them on my CV?

Thanks!

Hi elementarie,

It's excellent that you are already in the midst of grad school planning with still a few more years of college to go. If you continue to do well in your major-related classes, you will be a fairly competitive applicant when it comes time.

That said, for the large part, EC's matter very little and carry next to zero weight in MA/PHD dossiers. This isn't college, where the committee cares about how well-rounded an individual you are, and how you can "contribute" to the "community." Grad schools only care about your potential to make significant contributions to the field, and typically (with the exception of interdisciplinary programs), it is best to for applicants to be as focused and cohesive as they can rather than be wide-casting. You may go ahead and list them in your CV if you'd like, but not at the cost of directly field-related activities.

Considering that your field is English, your best preparation for applications would be to take (and do well in) as many upper div. advanced courses in English/Writing/Comp Lit as you can, and aiming to write at least one or two good papers related to your possible research interests in these classes. I would also study hard for the verbal section of the GREs, and develop relationships with English professors at your college that will write you a solid recommendation letter next year.

In your case, your clubs do seem relevant to your field, so it can't hurt to put them in your CV. I would consider mentioning them in your statement if you can draw things out of them that correlate to potential grad school activities. For example, as MA funding is not a given, the fact that you participated in a teaching writing club might be mentioned as a way of presenting yourself as a candidate for TA positions.

Edited by comp12

This is exactly what a CV is for. If you look at the CV's of tenured professors, they often include information about professional affiliations, committee experience, and other campus-related activities.

However, I'm not actually sure if extracurricular activities will help you get into a grad program. That being said, I am confident that being able to speak to how your extracurricular experiences have prepared you for teaching may help you get teaching gigs, whether as an adjunct or graduate teaching assistant. When I got my first community college teaching job, post-MA, I had no classroom teaching experience, but I was able to explain how tutoring and a variety of other activities shaped my teaching philosophy and prepared me for working with students from different cultures and with different needs. I've been teaching for two years now, and I love it.

In your case, your clubs do seem relevant to your field, so it can't hurt to put them in your CV. I would consider mentioning them in your statement if you can draw things out of them that correlate to potential grad school activities. For example, as MA funding is not a given, the fact that you participated in a teaching writing club might be mentioned as a way of presenting yourself as a candidate for TA positions.

Ah yes, comp12 beat me to the punch! This is why I should refresh the page before posting. :)

I would put them on. Don't overemphasize them; just have a little section for them at the very end of the CV. Make sure your other accomplishments are more prominent, however, because you don't want to make it look like these are "fillers" that you are throwing in because you don't have anything else to put on.

I see no harm in including some or all of them. My CV (I feel weird saying that. I don't think I'm yet allowed to speak of "my CV" as an undergraduate :blink: ) has very short section listing my association with Sigma Tau Delta, both as a member and chapter president. I have my writing tutoring experience listed as well under a "teaching experience" section. None of that means shit for graduate school, of course, except perhaps for M.A. programs in which T.A. funding is scarce--that's the sole reason why I have the tutoring job listed on mine.

Edited by Two Espressos

I guess as we're on the topic of the CV, I'm unclear as to exactly what to put on my CV? I'm just a senior in college (undergrad), so it's not like I've had any publications or anything like that to speak of. I've done a few journalism and PR internships, as well as a teaching internship. Are these CVs supposed to look like the resumes of our friends who are seeking jobs in the "real" world?

Thanks!

I guess as we're on the topic of the CV, I'm unclear as to exactly what to put on my CV? I'm just a senior in college (undergrad), so it's not like I've had any publications or anything like that to speak of. I've done a few journalism and PR internships, as well as a teaching internship. Are these CVs supposed to look like the resumes of our friends who are seeking jobs in the "real" world?

Thanks!

Hi sunshan! Check out the link I posted above (labeled "This is exactly what a CV is for!"). It's from OWL Purdue, a website that I go to for all of my writing needs! If you are interested, you can PM me to check out my CV. I don't know if it's perfect, but it's helped me land some teaching positions!