Best test to use as GRE pre-test/diagnostic before prepping?

suedonim

I'm looking for suggestions on the best, i.e., most representative of actual current GRE, test available to take to gauge where my skills are right now before I start doing any preparation for the actual test. I want the best ballpark indicator of where I'm at to help decide how much prepping to do, what kind, etc. I'd like to do a computer-based test since that will be new to me.

I have 1993 GRE's (been out of grad school for a dozen years and looking to return) from the paper-based test that were, with percentiles from my final score report (given that time-frame), 790-Quantitative (97%) and 750-Verbal (99%). I probably don't need to do a massive amount of prepping, hence why I'm just getting to it now. But where to begin with a "pre-test?"

It's a brave new world of GRE, and I'm out of touch with what's out there.

Thanks for any suggestions.

ETS's powerprep II free software are official practice exams you could try. I did find that I scored about 3 points higher(new scale) than on the real thing though

ETS's powerprep II free software are official practice exams you could try. I did find that I scored about 3 points higher(new scale) than on the real thing though

Yes, thanks. I kind of want to save the real GRE tests available until after I've prepped a bit as the final step in preparing, the dry runs at the real thing.

I've heard elsewhere that Manahttan's materials are considered the "best" and closest in terms of scoring to the real thing. Might start there.

I thought Kaplan tests were the best, other than PowerPrep. The Kaplan tests were challenging in the math section and seemed on-par with the actual test's verbal section. I took Princeton's tests too, but they were a bit optimistic. However, the plus for using Princeton is that they'll actually grade your essays, which is good for getting a ballpark estimate when you start studying.

Best of luck!

The PowerPrep II test was the closest to my real results, and I took it before even studying. I scored an average of a couple points higher in each section than the PPII test anticipated.

I will say that I studied from Barron's, Magoosh, and Kaplan for the math and verbal. My test was heavily weighted toward geometry with none of the things I had really brushed up on (probability, ratios, drt, etc).

I think the extensive reading exercises I did with Magoosh possibly helped bump my verbal score in regards to reading comprehension.

Edited by Willows