MPH CANADA FALL 2013 APPLICANTS

mazylexsymi

Yeah, i also applied to Uvic, but it seems that everyone in this forum has heard back from Uvic except me. Wondering if int'l students admission comes later. Dont lose hope yet on SFU. Good luck..

Oh, you are an int'l applicant? I am too, sort of! I live and work in Canada, but I am a foreign citizen. If anything, Intn'l's should know earlier on in order to apply for Visas- just my opinion..Thanks for yr encouragement, I am trying to remain as patient and hopeful as possible.. :rolleyes:

Oh, you are an int'l applicant? I am too, sort of! I live and work in Canada, but I am a foreign citizen. If anything, Intn'l's should know earlier on in order to apply for Visas- just my opinion..Thanks for yr encouragement, I am trying to remain as patient and hopeful as possible.. :rolleyes:

What stream did you apply too in SFU? I applied to global health

Thank you! And no problem, I'd be grilling anyone with information from them after this crazy long wait too!

They sent me an email this afternoon with an attachment of the acceptance letter. They said they would also be sending a copy in the mail.

My account status was updated to 'admitted' with an option to accept or decline.

I applied for the Fall 2013 term - Social Inequities and Health stream

Please did they specify the deadline to accept SFU offer in you letter?

Social inequities & Health

Ok. Don't lose hope, tomorrow is the last business day of the week, lets hope we get a positive response from them. Actually, i think int'l are notified late, cos I dont think they care much about the visa application.

Ok. Don't lose hope, tomorrow is the last business day of the week, lets hope we get a positive response from them. Actually, i think int'l are notified late, cos I dont think they care much about the visa application.

Thanks! Hope lives on...Best wishes to u and all who wait & hope!

Please, which of the offers are u accepting? I am thinking some of us, will get a chance to enter if you reject fast. Especially Uvic, cos i havent heard from them. :)

I'm going to accept the SFU offer - they said I have to give them an answer within 14 days. I'll let UVic know tomorrow that I'm declining. Good luck everyone!

I'm going to accept the SFU offer - they said I have to give them an answer within 14 days. I'll let UVic know tomorrow that I'm declining. Good luck everyone!

Ok. Great! Congrats again. May see you in fall. :)

Has anyone heard back from McGill (MPH)?

I emailed them and they said that they're preparing to send out letters to notify applicants of the decision (didn't specify email or post) ... but they said we should know by early next week. At least re: epidemiology, I didn't apply for MPH.

I called SFU today and they said they are currently working on sending out admission decisions and they will be trying to let all applicants know by early next week! so the wait continues 

I called SFU today and they said they are currently working on sending out admission decisions and they will be trying to let all applicants know by early next week! so the wait continues 

Ggrrrrrrh....I had hoped my agony would end sometime today!!! But thanks for the info... :)

Thanks for the information. This wait isn't easy anymore. Best wishes

soooooo....... how about UBC vs SFU? Any takers?

It depends on the stream you want to pursue the UBC mph is general but you can choose electives to make it more focused towards what you want to do but the SFU program has streams and their program is also accredited and an older program. UBC as a school has a better reputation. I would suggest looking at the courses you are required to take under the stream you applied to and seeing if they match your interests and comparing them to UBC's. I personally am interested in epidemiology so I would choose UBC as they seem to have stats/epi focused courses compared to SFU's population health stream.

It depends on the stream you want to pursue the UBC mph is general but you can choose electives to make it more focused towards what you want to do but the SFU program has streams and their program is also accredited and an older program. UBC as a school has a better reputation. I would suggest looking at the courses you are required to take under the stream you applied to and seeing if they match your interests and comparing them to UBC's. I personally am interested in epidemiology so I would choose UBC as they seem to have stats/epi focused courses compared to SFU's population health stream.

Cool beans, thanks for the reply. Any other opinions out there?

Hi all, 

If you could choose between studying public health at SFU or UBC, which one would you choose and why?

gracias por su colaboración y buena suerte a todos

ciao

I have not paid a lot of attention to the UBC MPH structure, but I am attracted to the SFU because it has a thesis option; this is huge for me because I have a clinical/practical background, but would like to progress into a scholarly realm- @ PhD soon after. Secondly, I am most interested in health equity  & social determinants of health, and SFU has a great stream on this! Also, I would like to use ethnographic methods in my future work on social inequalities in health, and SFU has lots of professors with medical anthropology backgrounds & similar interests as mine. That SFU is CEPH accredited is an additional "cream on the cake!"

On the other hand, UBC must be a bigger name school thats been around longer...and if I am not mistaken, it is stronger in Epidemiology/ Statistics areas.

It really depends on what you are looking to do with your degree, and which areas interest you more...either schools have their strengths!  :)

Can someone confirm if U of T MPH  programs are all increasing seats (or doubling) for Fall 2013? Not sure if I like the sound of that...

Yes for epi this year, but not for health promotion.  Next year though, all programs will be increasing in size. There's a lot of controversy about it but the school director Dr. Hu was brought on for that mandate (and it's all part of the publicly available strategic plan). Since universities get funding per student, there's always a push to increase enrolment   Classes are already huge so you sit there with 35 others lecture-style just like undergrad. If you are interested in getting into medical school, or work in public health it's a good name to have, but it's basically a job-training camp and if you're interested in learning/engaging in ideas or discussing them, you'll be disappointed.  If I could choose again, I'd go to LSHTM.

Edited by dr.p

Yes for epi this year, but not for health promotion.  Next year though, all programs will be increasing in size. There's a lot of controversy about it but the school director Dr. Hu was brought on for that mandate (and it's all part of the publicly available strategic plan). Since universities get funding per student, there's always a push to increase enrolment   Classes are already huge so you sit there with 35 others lecture-style just like undergrad. If you are interested in getting into medical school, or work in public health it's a good name to have, but it's basically a job-training camp and if you're interested in learning/engaging in ideas or discussing them, you'll be disappointed.  If I could choose again, I'd go to LSHTM.

Thanks. Why just for epi this year? Do you know if its simply increasing enrolment or is the class actually doubling? That does concern me as I was hoping to have the class engagement element. 35 isn't unrealistic (though on the larger end), however any higher I would get a little worried about losing the intimacy of graduate school learning.

Edited by deletta

I have not paid a lot of attention to the UBC MPH structure, but I am attracted to the SFU because it has a thesis option; this is huge for me because I have a clinical/practical background, but would like to progress into a scholarly realm- @ PhD soon after. Secondly, I am most interested in health equity  & social determinants of health, and SFU has a great stream on this! Also, I would like to use ethnographic methods in my future work on social inequalities in health, and SFU has lots of professors with medical anthropology backgrounds & similar interests as mine. That SFU is CEPH accredited is an additional "cream on the cake!"

On the other hand, UBC must be a bigger name school thats been around longer...and if I am not mistaken, it is stronger in Epidemiology/ Statistics areas.

It really depends on what you are looking to do with your degree, and which areas interest you more...either schools have their strengths!  :)

Awesome! Thanks for the contribution. Anybody else wanna weigh in and give their reasons for choosing either UBC or SFU?  What about employment? Are employment prospects better with a degree from UBC? In other words, how important is that "big name" to landing a job?

Edited by Schleeman

Thanks. Why just for epi this year? Do you know if its simply increasing enrolment or is the class actually doubling? That does concern me as I was hoping to have the class engagement element. 35 isn't unrealistic (though on the larger end), however any higher I would get a little worried about losing the intimacy of graduate school learning.

Huge pushback from the HP faculty and PHSA.  Plus it's harder to mark HP stuff since it's all essays.  Epi is doubling, and HP is doubling/tripling (not this year) but may split into different sub-streams (eg. social science, ecosystem health).  There may still be some opportunities for engagement as the larger cohorts will be split into sections, but in my experience it's like a factory already at 35 people/class.

Anybody has heard of Top schools like UBC or Toronto who have accepted applicants who do not meet their GPA requirements, but may have lots of work experience?

Yes - my colleague at UofT has a sub 3.0 GPA, otherwise very exceptional though.