MPH CANADA FALL 2013 APPLICANTS

mazylexsymi

Yeaa agreed! I got into U of S as well but I'm just waiting on Lakehead as well... Lakehead is my first choice just because of its distance education program and yess they are taking FOREVER!! :(

I am waiting to hear back from CGSR at U of S. After how long did you hear from CGSR following recommendation by School of Public Health?

I am waiting to hear back from CGSR at U of S. After how long did you hear from CGSR following recommendation by School of Public Health?

I havent had the recommendation from CGSR but I received an email and then I called and spoke to the School of Public Health and they said "congratulations you are in they just need to look at your application and if they have any questions will call you but I dont think they will just wait two weeks and it will change on your account".

Hope that helps!

I havent had the recommendation from CGSR but I received an email and then I called and spoke to the School of Public Health and they said "congratulations you are in they just need to look at your application and if they have any questions will call you but I dont think they will just wait two weeks and it will change on your account".

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the info! I also just spoke to a CGSR representative and she said that all offers will be sent out by next week. Also, she said that if you have been recommended by a program then most likely you are in unless if there are specific conditions. So, it's just a matter of her sending the official letter now! She did say that she was behind in sending those.

Btw, do you know how big the class size is for School of Public Health?

Thanks for the info! I also just spoke to a CGSR representative and she said that all offers will be sent out by next week. Also, she said that if you have been recommended by a program then most likely you are in unless if there are specific conditions. So, it's just a matter of her sending the official letter now! She did say that she was behind in sending those.

Btw, do you know how big the class size is for School of Public Health?

Ummm.. I Think its about 65 students? this isnt counting the online students. Are you considering accepting?

Anyone still waiting to hear from SFU? I called them Tuesday, and was told i should be able to get word in the following 48 hours! Its well over that now...will be sending an email by day's end  if nothing happens... ' :) HAPPY' WAITING!

Ummm.. I Think its about 65 students? this isnt counting the online students. Are you considering accepting?
It depends on the course. I asked specifically for the epidemiology courses and the class size is 25

Oh okay! Well I am still waiting on the official letter from U of S...I only applied there and to U of Alberta (got rejected from there (n). So U of S it is...

@Machiatto: Did your status on the U of S website change after you got your approval from CGSR? Right now, my admission decision indicates "Dept Recommend." I was wondering if I can expect it to change to "Accepted" or something? Thanks!

Hey!

Late to joining this forum but I wanted to know everyones thoughts on the Guelph MPH program. I applied to it and got in but I don't know much about it and I have to make a decision soon. What do you guys know/heard about the program and Guelph's branding? As well, do you think an MPH from Guelph is better overall or an MSc from the HRM McMaster program!

Excited to hear your thoughts!

@Machiatto: Did your status on the U of S website change after you got your approval from CGSR? Right now, my admission decision indicates "Dept Recommend." I was wondering if I can expect it to change to "Accepted" or something? Thanks!

Oh no. Mine still says Dept Recommend.  I think in two weeks or so it is going to change to something else. The lady told me that it will change around the time that she sends the official acceptance out. I will let you know when I get mine you let me know when you get yours too! :) 

Hey!

Late to joining this forum but I wanted to know everyones thoughts on the Guelph MPH program. I applied to it and got in but I don't know much about it and I have to make a decision soon. What do you guys know/heard about the program and Guelph's branding? As well, do you think an MPH from Guelph is better overall or an MSc from the HRM McMaster program!

Congratulations! I'm a guelph grad, and I've talked to Dr. Papadopoulos several times about the program. He is a really nice man if you have further questions. Guelph's program is only a couple years old and they only have 20 spots, so its a nice small program that is accredited. The program is a combination of arts and science, and its connected to the Ontario Veterinary College which is great for foodborne illnesses, zoonosis, infectious disease, etc etc. Its a very general program in the first year, and you get to pick your electives in second year based on what your interested in. You can also complete the program earlier if you take 4 courses for a couple terms and 1 during practicum. He said that for practicum  usually 75% are paid positions, and 25% are volunteer positions usually while sometimes the volunteer ones give you better experience.

My partner is a Masters student in Epi at Guelph and he has taken a few courses that the MPH students are required to take. The profs have all been great for him! Its definitely not an MPH/ grad factory! I may be biased but Guelph is a beautiful university town, and a lovely place to live. Everyone is very friendly, and tries very hard to help you succeed.

If you have any more questions, I would love to answer them.

Hey!

So glad you brought this up! I just got my acceptance letter from Guelph and feel the same way.

I dont think I'll be much help in answering your question but from  what I've gathered through reading random things on internet (theres very little info out there), it seems like a good program if you want to do work in food safety.

The Canadian food inspection agency gave a grant to the school to develop this MPH program with these aims in mind:

"The development and implementation of a Master's of Public Health Program (MPH) at the Ontario Veterinary College serves to complement the CFIA's mandate through contributing to food safety, animal, public and ecosystems health. The MPH program will provide focused training to produce front-line public health practitioners who will be prepared to enter the public health workforce and will be equipped to work in a variety of subject areas essential to CFIA's activities (e.g. policy development, risk assessment, animal and human health program development)."

http://active.inspection.gc.ca/scripts/agen/proactive/awaoct/awaoctrport.asp?lang=e&yr=2008-2009&q=1&contraID=20

I really dont know about the general perception of the school/program by others though...wish some current MPH students would check out this thread :P

(Cant comment on the Msc vs MPH)

Any other opinions?

Hi guelphbiomed,

since your a current student at guelph I would really like to get your opinion on general life in Guelph. I've scrolled through forums that bring up issues on racism at the university...what have you noticed on campus and what are the general attitudes of students towards people of different ethnic backgrounds? (This kinda stuff makes me anxious about accepting the offer...i dont want to feel like an outsider for 2 years)

Hi guelphbiomed,

since your a current student at guelph I would really like to get your opinion on general life in Guelph. I've scrolled through forums that bring up issues on racism at the university...what have you noticed on campus and what are the general attitudes of students towards people of different ethnic backgrounds? (This kinda stuff makes me anxious about accepting the offer...i dont want to feel like an outsider for 2 years)

I feel like Guelph is a pretty accepting community with alot of activism. I wouldn't say that Guelph is the most multicultural university, as my partner attended Waterloo for his undergrad and I felt like he was the minority there.  However, its not a strange thing to see different ethnic backgrounds especially in science courses.There are tons of different ethnic associations around, and they usually have days in the university centre to promote awareness. Yes, like any university there are people who are racist, but I do not feel like it is the norm.

Guelph has a great sense of community as its a medium size university. I would say that Guelph has a 7:3 ratio of girls to boys though!! Students in Guelph are very caring as people are always sending random people notes if they are sick, random acts of kindness, and generally help people out. I am graduating from Biomedical Sciences, and usually its a cut throat program in other universities as people want to be doctors, dentists, etc etc. However, I never felt like anyone was going to screw me over, the profs were very friendly and so were my classmates.  Guelph is very environmentally driven, and there are always campaigns to reduce water bottle waste, sustainability, and various other eco things.

I would definitely take a tour of the campus sometime and check it out yourself. If you decide to accept there are various websites for housing (I was a Off Campus Living Peer Helper) such as www.thecannon.ca, www.uoguelph.ca/OCL or www.kijji.ca

My email is mcumming@uoguelph.ca if you want to chat further.

Hope I helped!

Melissa

Hi guelphbiomed,

HI guelphbiomed and everyone,

So I've been trolling this message section for a while now and thought I would pipe in! There is so much great information on here, I just want to say thanks to everyone who has contributed, because it has been such a huge help during this whole admission process/waiting game. I have been accepted at U of G into the MPH program and am so, so, so excited, as this was my number one choice. (Was also accepted at U of W, but will be declining now that I've heard from Guelph). I live in Guelph and also did my undergrad degree at U of G. I have to say that Guelph is a very liberal, open-minded town, from all of my experiences here. (Of course, that's not to say there are not isolated instances of unacceptable behaviour, as could be said for anywhere) :) It is also a very beautiful city and I really love the campus (I am a bit biased here, of course...) As a bit of additional information, I called and spoke with a woman by the name of Sandra in the Financial Services department on Wednesday. It just so happened that Sandra had previously worked as the graduate secretary for the MPH program, and when I told her what program I was starting, she said she thought it was one of the best programs U of G offers, because the students in the program always just seemed so happy and like they really enjoyed it.

Not sure if that helps, but I thought I would share. I really look forward to seeing some of you in September!

Thanks so much Melissa! Especially glad to hear that there are a variety of ethnic associations. Feeling a little better about accepting the offer now :) I'll definitely be checking out the campus soon.

Hopefully we will meet in September!

Hope that helps!

I think I'm at the same stage as you, I got department recommended - conditional (final transcript needed, I'm in my last semester of undergrad). I also got an email from Stephanie Wong saying "This letter is to inform you that we have recommended you for admission to our Master of Public Health Program at the University of Saskatchewan, which starts August 2013."

HI guelphbiomed and everyone,

So I've been trolling this message section for a while now and thought I would pipe in! There is so much great information on here, I just want to say thanks to everyone who has contributed, because it has been such a huge help during this whole admission process/waiting game. I have been accepted at U of G into the MPH program and am so, so, so excited, as this was my number one choice. (Was also accepted at U of W, but will be declining now that I've heard from Guelph). I live in Guelph and also did my undergrad degree at U of G. I have to say that Guelph is a very liberal, open-minded town, from all of my experiences here. (Of course, that's not to say there are not isolated instances of unacceptable behaviour, as could be said for anywhere) :) It is also a very beautiful city and I really love the campus (I am a bit biased here, of course...) As a bit of additional information, I called and spoke with a woman by the name of Sandra in the Financial Services department on Wednesday. It just so happened that Sandra had previously worked as the graduate secretary for the MPH program, and when I told her what program I was starting, she said she thought it was one of the best programs U of G offers, because the students in the program always just seemed so happy and like they really enjoyed it.

Not sure if that helps, but I thought I would share. I really look forward to seeing some of you in September!

Thank you! I am really excited about starting too and Guelph was also my #1...it was just these little things that kept making me a bit nervous. Really appreciate the input!

Congratulations! I'm a guelph grad, and I've talked to Dr. Papadopoulos several times about the program. He is a really nice man if you have further questions. Guelph's program is only a couple years old and they only have 20 spots, so its a nice small program that is accredited. The program is a combination of arts and science, and its connected to the Ontario Veterinary College which is great for foodborne illnesses, zoonosis, infectious disease, etc etc. Its a very general program in the first year, and you get to pick your electives in second year based on what your interested in. You can also complete the program earlier if you take 4 courses for a couple terms and 1 during practicum. He said that for practicum  usually 75% are paid positions, and 25% are volunteer positions usually while sometimes the volunteer ones give you better experience.

My partner is a Masters student in Epi at Guelph and he has taken a few courses that the MPH students are required to take. The profs have all been great for him! Its definitely not an MPH/ grad factory! I may be biased but Guelph is a beautiful university town, and a lovely place to live. Everyone is very friendly, and tries very hard to help you succeed.

If you have any more questions, I would love to answer them.

Hey Guelphbiomed, what is the program accredited by? I was waitlisted. I was sure that it is not CEPH accredited but maybe I'm wrong. 

Hey Guelphbiomed, what is the program accredited by? I was waitlisted. I was sure that it is not CEPH accredited but maybe I'm wrong. 

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word accredited, I just finished writing my final exams and am a bit sleep deprived!! I should have stated that it is a true MPH program, as some other universities have converted their MSc into an MPH. 

When I found the MPH progam's proposal it said "The working group began with the 62 competencies proposed for accredited MPH programs by the Public Health Human Resources Task Group.The proposed program was designed based on these competencies and the core strengths of the faculty who will deliver the program."

This can also help you find more information about what the program is like:

http://www.uoguelph.ca/secretariat/senate/download/meetings/bgs/agendas/MPH.pdf

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word accredited, I just finished writing my final exams and am a bit sleep deprived!! I should have stated that it is a true MPH program, as some other universities have converted their MSc into an MPH. 

When I found the MPH progam's proposal it said "The working group began with the 62 competencies proposed for accredited MPH programs by the Public Health Human Resources Task Group.The proposed program was designed based on these competencies and the core strengths of the faculty who will deliver the program."

This can also help you find more information about what the program is like:

http://www.uoguelph.ca/secretariat/senate/download/meetings/bgs/agendas/MPH.pdf

Thanks so much guelphbiomed :)! I will read it. Hope you have a nice rest after your exams!