MPH CANADA FALL 2013 APPLICANTS

mazylexsymi

received a letter of offer via mail on April 12th 

Hey ebmph, I have been waitlisted for Guelph. How long were you given to either accept/decline your offer?

I think I'm at the same stage as you, I got department recommended - conditional (final transcript needed, I'm in my last semester of undergrad). I also got an email from Stephanie Wong saying "This letter is to inform you that we have recommended you for admission to our Master of Public Health Program at the University of Saskatchewan, which starts August 2013."

ahahaha Yes exactly! That's what i got first an email from Stephanie Wong and then I called them and thats when they said that to me.

It depends on the course. I asked specifically for the epidemiology courses and the class size is 25

Ohh I see thank you! When I asked them maybe they were saying how many people they accept.. Thank you for clarifying I don't want to give any wrong information! :)

Congratulations! I'm a guelph grad, and I've talked to Dr. Papadopoulos several times about the program. He is a really nice man if you have further questions. Guelph's program is only a couple years old and they only have 20 spots, so its a nice small program that is accredited. The program is a combination of arts and science, and its connected to the Ontario Veterinary College which is great for foodborne illnesses, zoonosis, infectious disease, etc etc. Its a very general program in the first year, and you get to pick your electives in second year based on what your interested in. You can also complete the program earlier if you take 4 courses for a couple terms and 1 during practicum. He said that for practicum  usually 75% are paid positions, and 25% are volunteer positions usually while sometimes the volunteer ones give you better experience.

My partner is a Masters student in Epi at Guelph and he has taken a few courses that the MPH students are required to take. The profs have all been great for him! Its definitely not an MPH/ grad factory! I may be biased but Guelph is a beautiful university town, and a lovely place to live. Everyone is very friendly, and tries very hard to help you succeed.

If you have any more questions, I would love to answer them.

Thank you all so much for your answers! I am hesitant about Guelph because how it is seen in the work field compared to a McGill graduate or UBC or UofT graduate. Do you know anything about that? How many years has this program been running?

Also, I'm hesitant because I wanted to live in my hometown and not commute so does any one know if classes are held every day or...?

Thanks!

Thank you all so much for your answers! I am hesitant about Guelph because how it is seen in the work field compared to a McGill graduate or UBC or UofT graduate. Do you know anything about that? How many years has this program been running?

Also, I'm hesitant because I wanted to live in my hometown and not commute so does any one know if classes are held every day or...?

Thanks!

No problem! I love to help and I'm so excited for next year!

You can check what times courses are offered at on WebAdvisor.

Go to www.uoguelph.ca

Click WebAdvisor under "Web Tools" its to the right of the screen

Then Click "Students" under main menu

Under registration click "search for sections"

Then there is a drop down for term (Fall 2013)

and a drop down for subjects. (POPM)

It looks there is class every day but Friday...

POPM*6200*01 (2196) Epidemiology I

Guelph

LEC Mon, Wed
10:00AM - 11:20AM
Room TBA Room TBA

POPM*6510*01 (2201) Community Health Promotion

Guelph

LEC Tues, Thur
10:00AM - 11:20AM
Room TBA Room TBA

POPM*6520*01 (2202) Epidemiology and Statistics

Guelph

LEC Tues, Thur
01:00PM - 02:20PM
Room TBA Room TBA

Thanks!

Also, Its been running for several years, its not the oldest MPH program in Canada. I think if you read the link I posted earlier that will help you get a better sense of the program. 

The waiting has ended for me today- in disappointment. I got a response to my email- apparently, one of my official transcripts never arrived, and I did not know that...don't know whether its because I am still attending my undergrad school???  I was asked to say when I expected it to be sent it, in order to complete the application, but I really think its too little too late now that acceptances have mostly already been sent out for Fall 2013. I have decided to withdraw and re-apply next year. I am saddened  :( but it still feels a little better than an outright rejection :lol: ...Congrats to all who made it this time ( and those who will), and best wishes to those of us who will have to re-live this experience next year!!! 

Cheers!

Congratulations! I'm a guelph grad, and I've talked to Dr. Papadopoulos several times about the program. He is a really nice man if you have further questions. Guelph's program is only a couple years old and they only have 20 spots, so its a nice small program that is accredited. The program is a combination of arts and science, and its connected to the Ontario Veterinary College which is great for foodborne illnesses, zoonosis, infectious disease, etc etc. Its a very general program in the first year, and you get to pick your electives in second year based on what your interested in. You can also complete the program earlier if you take 4 courses for a couple terms and 1 during practicum. He said that for practicum  usually 75% are paid positions, and 25% are volunteer positions usually while sometimes the volunteer ones give you better experience.

My partner is a Masters student in Epi at Guelph and he has taken a few courses that the MPH students are required to take. The profs have all been great for him! Its definitely not an MPH/ grad factory! I may be biased but Guelph is a beautiful university town, and a lovely place to live. Everyone is very friendly, and tries very hard to help you succeed.

If you have any more questions, I would love to answer them.

Dear all,

Congratulation for all who got acceptance,

I applied to Guelph and they send me letter saying that they are in the process of preparing offer letter but they need a master transcripts to be evaluated since it is the most recent degree.Unfortunatelly the university lost all the record and after a long dicission they offered to give me only records with just the passing grades (60 or 70%), I dont know do they decide only based on the last academic degree or average of all degrees I have, I did a certificate on emerging infectious diseases epidemiology from university of Iowa with 4 GPA ?? and i have also 14 years experinece in zoonotic diseases and outbreak responses ,....

please advise what should I do ????,

Dear all,

Congratulation for all who got acceptance,

I applied to Guelph and they send me letter saying that they are in the process of preparing offer letter but they need a master transcripts to be evaluated since it is the most recent degree.Unfortunatelly the university lost all the record and after a long dicission they offered to give me only records with just the passing grades (60 or 70%), I dont know do they decide only based on the last academic degree or average of all degrees I have, I did a certificate on emerging infectious diseases epidemiology from university of Iowa with 4 GPA ?? and i have also 14 years experinece in zoonotic diseases and outbreak responses ,....

please advise what should I do ????,

Hi catchsameh,

I would say your best bet is to call the department directly, either this afternoon, or first thing Monday morning and speak with the graduate secretary, Trudi Papadopoulos. She is very nice and I'm sure she would be able to give you an answer or some further suggestions. I think it is pretty standard for universities to request your most recent transcript.

Trudi Papadopoulos

Graduate Secretary and

Program Assistant, Master of Public Health Program

Tel: 519-824-4120, Ext. 54780

Email: tpapadop@uoguelph.ca

The waiting has ended for me today- in disappointment. I got a response to my email- apparently, one of my official transcripts never arrived, and I did not know that...don't know whether its because I am still attending my undergrad school???  I was asked to say when I expected it to be sent it, in order to complete the application, but I really think its too little too late now that acceptances have mostly already been sent out for Fall 2013. I have decided to withdraw and re-apply next year. I am saddened  :( but it still feels a little better than an outright rejection :lol: ...Congrats to all who made it this time ( and those who will), and best wishes to those of us who will have to re-live this experience next year!!! 

Cheers!

you dont have to give up at this point, something good might still come out of it. Inquiry from your school asap and know when they will send it. Then reply SFU accordingly. If they wanted to reject you on that basis, they will. but now, they are not. they are interested, the ball is in your court to make this happen. talk to your school and make them send it next week. Good luck to you. I wish you will never give up, till you know the end of it. It's never over, till its over!

Cheers!

I'm so sorry to hear that. I agree it's better than a rejection, but disappointing just the same.

you dont have to give up at this point, something good might still come out of it. Inquiry from your school asap and know when they will send it. Then reply SFU accordingly. If they wanted to reject you on that basis, they will. but now, they are not. they are interested, the ball is in your court to make this happen. talk to your school and make them send it next week. Good luck to you. I wish you will never give up, till you know the end of it. It's never over, till its over!

Cima,

Thats so encouraging...its hard for me to make sense of it- but then, may be u right. Will try to call my school.

Hey ebmph, I have been waitlisted for Guelph. How long were you given to either accept/decline your offer?

Hey, they gave us until April 29th. Second round of offers should be coming out soon, Good Luck

Oh no. Mine still says Dept Recommend.  I think in two weeks or so it is going to change to something else. The lady told me that it will change around the time that she sends the official acceptance out. I will let you know when I get mine you let me know when you get yours too! :)

Oh, I misunderstood you! I thought you  meant you already receieved an official letter. I was hoping to receive it today since it has been two weeks but I guess it'll be by next week.

Hi catchsameh,

I would say your best bet is to call the department directly, either this afternoon, or first thing Monday morning and speak with the graduate secretary, Trudi Papadopoulos. She is very nice and I'm sure she would be able to give you an answer or some further suggestions. I think it is pretty standard for universities to request your most recent transcript.

Trudi Papadopoulos

Graduate Secretary and

Program Assistant, Master of Public Health Program

Tel: 519-824-4120, Ext. 54780

Email: tpapadop@uoguelph.ca

Thanks for your reply ,my question is do the evaluation will be based on the most recent transcript only or all my degree together???

Does extensive experience may compensate any deffeciency in education ???

Thanks for your reply ,my question is do the evaluation will be based on the most recent transcript only or all my degree together???

you would need to contact the school to get this info. (i believe a few of us told you that before). we are not on an admissions committee nor do we have any administrative positions to be able to answer this in detail, and i don't think any of us would want to give you the wrong info. definitely contact the school they will be able to help!

you would need to contact the school to get this info. (i believe a few of us told you that before). we are not on an admissions committee nor do we have any administrative positions to be able to answer this in detail, and i don't think any of us would want to give you the wrong info. definitely contact the school they will be able to help!

I agree with sn6666.  Only the school will be able to provide the correct responses to your questions.

ahahaha Yes exactly! That's what i got first an email from Stephanie Wong and then I called them and thats when they said that to me.

I was just wondering if you're a in province or out of province student? do they sent the official letter through express mail or regular post? 

Edited by afzal_11

I was just wondering if you're a in province or out of province student? do they sent the official letter through express mail or regular post? 

I'm out of province student. I think its going to be regular post but they said they will send an e-mail first.

It's a new day: I have decided to start applying for SFU's MSc Public Health for the Jan. 2014 intake. Its more research oriented than the MPH, not bad for one anticipating a PhD in the near future. I am not sure how competitive I will be, as I have never published anything...But will give it a try!  :)

It's a new day: I have decided to start applying for SFU's MSc Public Health for the Jan. 2014 intake. Its more research oriented than the MPH, not bad for one anticipating a PhD in the near future. I am not sure how competitive I will be, as I have never published anything...But will give it a try!  :)

Good luck to you! :)     Am still waiting on UVic, they haven't told me my admission status.

Good luck to you! :)     Am still waiting on UVic, they haven't told me my admission status.

Thanks! I am throwing everything out there..  :lol:   Wow, I "feel" you on that waiting game...Hang in there, and all the best!

Edited by UTH90