Submitting a NSF GRFP app after having submitted a DDIG. Bad idea?

LongGraduatedStudent

Hello all, I'm a second year bioanthro grad student. I am thinking about submittting a NSF GRFP application, but I have a problem. I've recently submitted a DDIG proposal for biological anthropology as I will have my MA by the end of the semester.

I was wondering have any of you ever submitted a GRFP app after having submitted a DDIG proposal? If so, did you have any problems doing so. I don't want to do anything that could possibly hurt my DDIG proposal.

I don't see that the submission is a problem. You can't accept both at the same time because of the NSF rules, but as long as you are eligible to apply for both, you should.

Are you sure about that? The GRF is a fellowship that covers tuition and stipend, and the DDIG covers research costs. They don't really overlap and there's nothing I can find in either solicitation that prohibits holding both simultaneously.

Also, I personally know someone who used both in the same year. SO.....

Edit to add: I don't think it's a bad idea at all. If you can get both at the same time, more power to you. I think this is probably a situation that doesn't come up a lot, as you have to advance to candidacy before you can apply for a DDIG. I doubt many people have advanced to candidacy before that 3rd semester of graduate school.

Edited by guttata

Are you sure about that? The GRF is a fellowship that covers tuition and stipend, and the DDIG covers research costs. They don't really overlap and there's nothing I can find in either solicitation that prohibits holding both simultaneously.

Also, I personally know someone who used both in the same year. SO.....

Prior to 2011 it was possible to accept an NSF GRFP concurrently with another federal fellowship. From 2011 on the rules changed so that the GRFP is mutually exclusive with any other major federal fellowship (this doesn't effect the use of funds by fellows who won their awards in 2010 and earlier, regardless of the year they actually used the funding). The GRFP solicitation at http://www.nsfgrfp.org/ covers all funding restrictions, and I see nothing that exempts the DDIG from these generic restrictions.

All that said, the best way to clear this up would be to call the program office for the GRFP (they seem to be the one's with restrictions).

I agree. It should be possible to accept both in this case, and I don't see anything specifically prohibiting simultaneous disbursement in either solicitation. I still think it is a good idea to check with the program offices prior to accepting, if you are find yourself in that situation. Something that may be clear to the OPer but is not to me, is how can they apply to a DDIG if they are in a master's program? It is specifically for doctoral work...

I agree. It should be possible to accept both in this case, and I don't see anything specifically prohibiting simultaneous disbursement in either solicitation. I still think it is a good idea to check with the program offices prior to accepting, if you are find yourself in that situation. Something that may be clear to the OPer but is not to me, is how can they apply to a DDIG if they are in a master's program? It is specifically for doctoral work...

Possible OP is in a program that awards a master's on the way to a PhD, but is in a continuous program. An MA is typically a "non-thesis," or class-based, masters, as opposed to the thesis-based MS degree. My program is that way - I entered the PhD program with a BA, but at a certain point I can basically sign a paper and be awarded a non-thesis MA, if I so choose.

• 2 weeks later...