Jobs with only a B.S. ??

ImmunologyGrad

So I'm about to leave my Ph.D. program in hopes of keeping my sanity. My question for you is this: What is my job outlook with only a B.S. ? I've searched online and read about it, but I would love to hear from individuals. How hard is it to get a research assistant job right now in a fairly big city? What would I be looking at in terms of salary and work hours? Are most of these jobs 9-5? I am in desperate need of a 9-5 type situation with two days off during the week. If a research assistant job would be just as stressful and time consuming as a Ph.D. program, then leaving the program would be pointless. I'm not too concerned with salary as I would rather be poor and happy than rich and miserable...

What other jobs are available in the sciences? I definitely want to stay in science, but WITHOUT grant writing and publication writing. Any suggestions?

Well, this is depressing.

The lack of response may be due to the forum in which you've asked it - the population here is mostly people pursuing graduate degrees who probably don't know the answers to your questions. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a friend who was working at Yale Medical School post graduation and she had to work almost every day of the week. The work schedule almost as hectic as that of a graduate student. Research assistant jobs are usually about 2 year contract jobs and she quit in less than a year. You might want to try out a less intense lab before quitting. I don't know what exactly you mean by you want to stay in science. If that means you want to do research than getting a PhD is the best bet but if you want to just do some stuff related to science try interning in science policy or patent law. Your science education will be valuable in these fields.