Which "tier" of schools should I apply for

ColonelKurtz

So I am currently finishing my last year of undergraduate study for a BA in Social Sciences Education which includes a BA in History. I also have a minor in Sociology. I was wondering which "tier" of schools I should be applying to with my stats if any at all. I have a 3.5 undergraduate GPA (3.8 in the last two years.) GRE score of 310 (160 Verbal 150 Quant) 5.0 AW. I am actually retaking the GRE in about a month I did zero studying for it the first time around and I already feel like I can improve my Quant score to around 160.

I have 3 great letters of recommendations and a great writing sample. As far as research experience goes, I am confused as to what counts towards "research experience." I am currently a research assistant for a Professor in my department. I had a senior thesis paper that was 25-30 pages in length. I am also doing an independent study this semester that will culminate into another 25-30 page paper.

I will also have a decent amount of teaching experience, I am currently a TA at a local high school and occasionally teach a class here and there. Next semester I will be student teaching, which means I will have a whole semester of managing my own class room. How much will these experiences help?

My almost Alma-Mater is very well known for its educational research and teacher preparation. The History faculty is pretty well established also. But... it is not known as a "top-notch" school in general, definitely not a top 50 school yet. Also, how are my chances coming from History?

As of right now I am just aiming for middle to lower "tier" schools. A few examples are: University of Illinois, University of Illinois Chicago, MIchigan State, Iowa State, Colorado State, and Southern Illinois University. Interests are sociology of education, technology, and social stratification. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Our situations sound similar. Comparable GRE scores and GPA's. I will have qual research experience for 2 semesters in developing my own survey, conducting interviews, etc. I'm interested in a lot (soc is interesting!), but narrowing it to gender, family, stratification, and mobility.

I'm not sure exactly where to aim either. I'm focusing on rankings around 30-60.

Honestly I'd shoot a little higher. Don't be afraid to apply to a top 20 based on fit. Our numbers are somewhat similar and my profs are encouraging applying to some top-20s (I'm also applying to some 30-60s). People with worse numbers have gotten into top 20s based on fit so I would go for it. Don't go exclusively for them, but still try to sprinkle some in. It sounds like you have some pretty good research experience (Being an RA and producing a paper does count, are you going to try to publish it?) and the top 20 professors I've talked to say they love that.

I also think it's worth sprinkling a few higher-ranked programs in, if they fit well with your research interests. Your quant score may hinder you in some quant-heavy programs, but there are many schools out there that don't place the emphasis on quant. And, if you raise it even 5 points or so, it won't be a hindrance. So much depends on the whim of the adcomm in what they are placing emphasis on in any given admissions cycle, and with your overall background and qualifications, I think you would be considered at some higher-ranked programs. And, you'd probably have a good shot at 30-60 ranked programs.

Thanks guys for your input I was getting a little nervous about my prospect as a grad student but looks like a have a better shot than i previously thought. Looks like i'll do some research into some top 25 programs and maybe apply to 3 or so then apply to 7-10 mid-low tier programs. Anyone know of any decent programs that accept Masters only students so I have a few safety programs? Also, any good recommendations for sociology of education or technology programs?

That sounds like a good plan. I talked to my undergrad's program coordinator for our grad school, and his words to me were to "cast a wide net."

So, that's definitely something to consider. I was also advised to draw attention to my work experience that is related to my research interests even if the job itself was not research related. For gender, as an example, I worked in a nonprofit (advocacy) which may help.

I'm not sure if that advice helps at all, but good luck!