International Relations Programs

Blackbriar

I believe ALL of the schools to which we applied, Korbel, SIPA, Fletcher, LSE and more, are members of ASPIA.

As far as my feelings on the East Coast - I grew up in the Mountain West and the West Coast. I went to prep school (Northfield-Mt.Hermon) and undergrad (NYU) on the East Coast and I can tell you, without equivocation, that we have a better quality of life in the West. Being close to nature is very important to me and on the East Coast I always felt estranged from that - especially in NYC which as fun as it is I wouldn't live in again.

My feeling on East Coast schools is clear - I feel that being out of the the NYC-DC-Boston corridor I'm much more likely to get a thorough grounding in theory and that I have to worry less about the hyper-political side of IR and in particular International Security - which as well all know is overtly political to begin with. Someone else described it best: they said Georgetown and American felt like "a bunch of guys in suits trading business cards" and that's exactly how I felt when I visited Georgetown and to a lesser degree other East Coast schools - there was an absurdly elitist attitude from all of them which felt like they were saying they didn't have to convince me of anything, I mean - the woman who I spoke with at Georgetown was actually eating chips at her desk as she spoke to me - and this after I flew to DC from CA to meet with them!

We all have to make our own choices. Mine will most likely be the West for the reasons I've stated. I don't feel the East Coast schools are inferior - I just feel they're not the right choice for me.

I second your thoughts on nature and I understand your issue with the DC schools. In the little amount of communication that I have had with them, I feel that they are very impersonal.

So 95% sure with Denver, what do they need to do to secure the other 5%?

As I went to school about 45 minutes away from Syracuse, in Ithaca, I can say that it is not the cold that gets people upstate (though the week of -15 when I returned from my first winter break was DAMN cold), it is the bleakness of January-March: wet, cold, gray.

As I went to school about 45 minutes away from Syracuse, in Ithaca, I can say that it is not the cold that gets people upstate (though the week of -15 when I returned from my first winter break was DAMN cold), it is the bleakness of January-March: wet, cold, gray.

Ahhh a Cornellian! Don't you just love Ithaca's weather in the winter??? Sorry I am having some memories flood back in. The neverending grey overcast, snow, and sledding! I know I am a freak, but I just love that type of weather.

I have friends who attended the program at syracuse and had really positive things to say. I didn't apply because I have a job and husband--I can't transplant my life out of the DC area :) I will say this though--they have a study abroad component built into their program which will give you overseas internship experience OR you can take a semester and be an intern in DC--that way you build up your resume and your contacts for your next step--so don't be concerned about the school being far away from DC. They have a really great network too and my friends had a very easy time finding work after they graduated--even in this economy! Good luck!

Ahhh a Cornellian! Don't you just love Ithaca's weather in the winter??? Sorry I am having some memories flood back in. The never ending grey overcast, snow, and sledding! I know I am a freak, but I just love that type of weather.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I LOVED Cornell. I was just pointing out what people who could not stand about the weather complained about. :)

Hi everyone. I am still waiting on all 5 schools (CHicago CIR, Tufts/MALD, NYU Politics/IR, GW Int Aff, and Penn State's new school of international affairs). But, I thought I could contribute to the Syracuse conversation. I grew up in Plattsburgh NY which is a couple hours NE of Syracuse. It's true that winter lasts a while, but it's nothing you can't handle. Expect 20 degree days on average from Dec to March, and some snow. That having been said, it isn't a particularly beautiful city, but if the program is a match, go for it. The school is definitely a good one. Does anybody have word from any of the schools I am waiting on? Anything would be nice. Good luck and best!

040404: Congrats!! I can feel your excitement from your words!

Cornell07 or FSIA or anyone:

I'm appying to Cornell's MPS/International Development, which is in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. It seems to be less structured compared to the other famous IR programs, but it allows you to take classes from all over the university and build your own specified program. Nobody seems to be talking about it and I'm looking for more info besides their website.

Would you happen to know anything about it?

light:

I think I've seen acceptance posts for Tufts/MALD on the other threads. I'm also waiting for GW/Elliot but haven't seen anything yet. Sorry, don't know about the others.

040404: I know what you mean. I don't think I'll be as excited about the others... or maybe not?? right now, I'm starting to get sick worrying about the others. I really want to go to Maxwell's welcome weekend, but its a bit too costly for me with the international flight and all... I wish I knew about ALL the results right away so if there are a several schools to choose from, I can go to tour around them. Are you going to the welcome weekend or have you gone to the US to see any of the schools?

040404: I know what you mean. I don't think I'll be as excited about the others... or maybe not?? right now, I'm starting to get sick worrying about the others. I really want to go to Maxwell's welcome weekend, but its a bit too costly for me with the international flight and all... I wish I knew about ALL the results right away so if there are a several schools to choose from, I can go to tour around them. Are you going to the welcome weekend or have you gone to the US to see any of the schools?

Gizmooow,

No I cannot go since I am from the Philippines and yes, the intl flight is indeed very costly. Hopefully, whoever gets to go to the Accepted Students Weekend/Open House will share their experiences here so at least we can get a feel of the whole place.

I hope schools finish deciding soon and send out acceptances just so everyone gets to breathe a little better. :lol: same goes with funding decisions...

Cornell07 or FSIA or anyone:

I'm appying to Cornell's MPS/International Development, which is in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. It seems to be less structured compared to the other famous IR programs, but it allows you to take classes from all over the university and build your own specified program. Nobody seems to be talking about it and I'm looking for more info besides their website.

Would you happen to know anything about it?

Sorry. I've never heard of it. :?

Congrats! Will you be coming to admitted students days in April?

Thanks!! Sadly, I won't be attending any. I am in Spain and don't get back until June and I have no spare cash (all my income goes to student loans and expenses here). If those of you that do go could take some notes and share your thoughts that would be great! In an effort to make some money, I need to figure out what I am doing for summer. What is everyone else planning?

Here is my situation:

I come back from Spain on June 17th, landing in Chicago. I will spend the night at my friend, Sarah's house, and head the 7 hours north to my hometown the next day. Then I have to worry about a summer job. I don't have a car, which leaves my bike. I am fine with that and it will be great exercise. I am a bridesmaid in a wedding in July, which throws a wrench in my planning efforts. My options:

a) bike 10 miles to town every day to work (assuming I can get a job anywhere in town)

B) beg for my old coffee shop job in my unincorporated "town" and bike 1 mile to work (which is okay, but I really don't want to do it)

c) work at one of the summer camps near my house (which I am currently working on, but they have an orientation week that starts on the 14th so most have turned me down right away since I wouldn't be able to make it until the 19 at the earliest and that gives me no time to unpack and recover from jet lag)

***a,b, and c put me around my hometown and allow me to spend the last 8 weeks or so with my family and friends, which I think would be nice, and someone could drive me halfway to the wedding and then have another bridesmaid pick me up***

d) spend the summer in my undergrad town living with Ellie, working, and preparing for my 150 mile bike trip that we have been wanting to do (this will cost about 400 for rent for 8 weeks, is 4 hours from the wedding, and 1.5 hours from my hometown)

e) stay in the suburbs of Chicago with my aunts and uncles and work out there (6 hours from the wedding 7.5 hours from home, but probably making more money and living for free, and my relatives houses are 1 hours driving time from where Sarah lives)

f)find a job in the city where my future university is, move there and work there (but, have no money to do this and wouldn't be able to go until after the wedding, leaves me with 4 weeks with the fam)

PLEASE HELP!!! I will take any suggestions!