Looking for advice on possible M.A. programs

Hello,

I am in the process of researching and applying to an English M.A. program. I have a few questions and do not know anyone else who has done the graduate school application experience.

I have a B.A. in English Lit. and Secondary Education with a minor in Teaching English as a Second language. I have spent the last two years working for non-profits that focus on teaching reading to K-12 students.

Now that I want to focus on going back to school, I realized I need foreign language experience. I did not take any foreign language in undergrad. I did spend a summer teaching English in Mexico but I am sure that is not enough to pass any proficiency exams. So I am looking for M.A. programs without language requirements.

Also, I am debating on focusing on the work of American minority women writers (postmodern) or if I want to focus on media and theory.

I would like advice or suggestions for possible programs I should look into.

Possible schools (In no particular order)

1. University of Maryland

2. Loyola University Chicago

3. UConn

4. Villanova

5. St. Louis University

6. Kent State

7. Rochester University

8. Carnegie Mellon

9. Syracuse

10. Northwestern

11. Rutgers

Is the MA your final goal, or are you potentially interested in a PhD? I only ask because with a PhD, you may have time to learn a language before you need to take the exam, but for an MA program that requires language knowledge, you may not have as much time before you need to complete the requirement.

Also, most language requirements are such that the program will issue a test where you translate about a page of material with the aid of a dictionary. Do you think you could do that in Spanish given your experience in Mexico?

Finally, to answer your question, I know that SUNY Buffalo has no language requirement for both the MA and the PhD.

I was in a similar boat last year -- I had a BS in English (not a BA) and had to take a language exam to get my MA. A lot of programs don't require languages, but you may receive a MS (Master of Science) instead. My school does this, and I've heard of others. I think the language part is typically a primary component of earning the Master of ARTS. I could be very wrong about this, but from my experience that's usually the way it goes.

Buffalo doesn't have a language requirement, I think, so I second sebastiansteddy.

I took the French exam last year, and it was much much MUCH easier than I thought it would be. Note, I had NO experience with French prior to this (none whatsoever) and just got a French dictionary and ordered a French grammar work book and taught myself. Am I anywhere near fluent in French? Oh god no, but I could translate a passage with a dictionary decently enough to get the language requirement.

OF COURSE, this is going to vary from school to school and program to program, but I was reading message boards last year while going through the process, and others at different schools than mine said the same thing. Not as bad as it sounds. VERY stressful though when you're trying to do that AND finish your thesis AND teach AND find a job/apply for PhD, etc. And you'll prob end up VERY resentful towards those in your program who did a language as an undergrad and didn't have to add it to the pile.

Sorry that was a rant.

So to answer your question, I just wanted to say to double check what degree you'll be getting without the language requirement at each university. They may not require it initially, but you'll get a year in and they might say, "oh yah, without the language requirement you're getting a MS and not a MA" or something like.

Good luck!

Espresso Shut (or anyone who might know the answer)

Sorry if this is a bad question, but does a MS in English make a big difference? If I get into a program and they say, “Oh you’re really getting an M.S. instead of an M.A” does that, make a huge difference?

I have no desire to do a PhD program. The Masters is going to be it.

And thank you for the advice I will look into SUNY Buffalo.

I have a second question. Hopefully someone can help with this one.

I want to focus my graduate studies on the work of postmodern women minority writers in regards to science fiction. Is that too specific of a research topic to put in my statement of purpose? Is there a better or more concise way to word my area of interest? I feel like every time I try to explain my focus it becomes too wordy and cumbersome.

Edited by BrookeSnow

Espresso Shut (or anyone who might know the answer)

Sorry if this is a bad question, but does a MS in English make a big difference? If I get into a program and they say, “Oh you’re really getting an M.S. instead of an M.A” does that, make a huge difference?

I have no desire to do a PhD program. The Masters is going to be it.

And thank you for the advice I will look into SUNY Buffalo.

Well, that totally depends. The short answer, no, not really depending on what you want to do. Especially if you're not gearing up to enter a PhD program then, really, I don't think it matters all too much. I've only heard that it matters to PhD admissions because they want to see that you can handle a language requirement since it's required for most PhD's.

If you're going into teaching or technical writing or just plain writing then I don't think it matters too much if you have an MA or an MS. In fact, the reason my school offers the MS is for the secondary education people who receive an MS because they spend their time student teaching and interning rather than learning languages. That program also takes 3 years and those people are hardcore students.

Outside of the world of academics I have heard from multiple people that your actual degree (MA or MS) isn't much of a concern. So I think it depends on your end goal -- like most things in life :)

Good luck either way!

• 2 weeks later...

I think the most important consideration in where to apply is whether or not they offer funding for MA students; I know a lot of the schools you listed do not. After graduation your financial prospects will be bleak, and unless you are independently wealthy I would strongly recommend against paying money for this type of degree.