GRE scores for top programs

Imhotep

I'm looking to get some feedback on my GRE scores. I got 162 Q (86%) and 165 V (95%). I'm worried that my quant score might be low for some of the top programs -- especially because my undergraduate record is not very strong.

Realistically, if I retook the exam, I think I could get a 164 (90%) in quant. Would it be worth it to take the test again and gamble on such an improvement?

I'm looking to get some feedback on my GRE scores. I got 162 Q (86%) and 165 V (95%). I'm worried that my quant score might be low for some of the top programs -- especially because my undergraduate record is not very strong.

Realistically, if I retook the exam, I think I could get a 164 (90%) in quant. Would it be worth it to take the test again and gamble on such an improvement?

Well the GRE has a new score select option. If I understand it correctly, you dont have to send the past five years of test results anymore unless you opt to. So if you have the time and money to retake the exam again, there is really no risk of receiving a lower score because you can choose which scores you want to send anyway.

This is a copy/paste from the ETS/GRE website

After test day, you can send Additional Score Reports for a fee by selecting from the following:

• ScoreSelect Most Recent option — Send your scores from your most recent test administration.
  • ScoreSelect All option — Send your scores from all test administrations in the last five years.
  • ScoreSelect Any option — Send your scores from one OR many test administrations in the last five years.

On the test day you get to select four schools to receive your scores for free. Either the most recent or all past scores. So if you take it again, just dont select any schools for your four free reports. You'll have to pay a fee after the exam to have the scores sent out, but you'll only do this if you've significantly improved.

• 3 weeks later...