Recommendation promised but no reply--what would you do?

I did volunteer work that is a very big part of my CV and SOP. Before I left, my supervisor told me herself that if I needed a LOR, she'd be more than happy to write me one.

Well, that time has come a few months later and I sent her a text message last night on her cellphone and haven't heard from her still. :wacko: My question: How soon should I contact her again? Should I text her again or call? Or should I ask the department instead, through e-mail or a phone call?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Since there's still lots of time before most applications are due, maybe wait a few days and then try to contact her via a different method. I personally don't think text messages are very reliable -- phones might be off, etc. (unless you regularly text this person). I think most busy people prefer to get emails, since they can respond at their leisure. But you know your relationship with your supervisor best -- maybe they would like a phone call and get an update from you. You can do both -- maybe a phone call to personally connect with the supervisor (i.e. so you know they got your message), ask if they would write you a letter in the coming weeks and then say you'll follow up with an email containing the details (so they can refer to it when they write the LORs).

I'm going through a similar situation except I emailed the professor and he never responded. He said I can go to his office and meet with him. But I figured I would email him first before I head up there and now that I emailed him he haven't responded. Should I send out another email?

Do you know his office hours? If you're e-mailing him to find out when he'll be in his office, then yes, e-mail him again a few days later. If he offered for you to meet with him in person and you know his office hours, I would just go.

Just go see him. Professors are much less scary than you think! Go visit his office, ask him if he has a minute and say what you need to.

At what point are you being ignored and not likely to get a LOR, as opposed to just having a busy professor? I sent three e-mails at the same time last week (out of the country, so office visits aren't possible), and I've gotten one positive response. At this point, an email that said "Go away, I hate you" would be preferable to just waiting and wondering if you have a future or not.

Which is of course melodramatic. But still not, in a way.

Three e-mails to different professors I hope? :-P

Follow up the e-mail with a phone call if you know there's a time when they are likely to pick up.

Yeah, but if they're not going to write you a letter, what's the harm in bothering them briefly to find out? It's better for your own sake that you find out sooner rather than later.