M.A. in the UK - Hard to get visa/work afterwards?

asterismos

Hi all,

I am a US citizen considering some MA programs in the UK. I am not sure, though, if this is a good plan because of work and visa difficulties afterwards.

Has anyone gotten an MA in the UK in the humanities and then carried on smoothly afterwards?

How does the process work? Which tier of visa did you apply for?

(I am specifically thinking of MA programs in Archaeology at Durham and Edinburgh).

Thank you!

I'm just going to speak about the visa process, because that's what I know.

The visa process is insanely easy if you understand British-English. Otherwise, it's a mirad of links upon links. But one that can be navigated!

Tier 4 is for students. You'll need a letter/form from the University you're going to attend in the UK that shows the UK government that you have a purpose to be there. There's some stuff about proving you are also able to financially support yourself. I didn't have to fill this part out, but it was basically asking, "How much are your living expenses? How much do you make?"

Now Tier 4 is probably not what you're going for if you are a working TA. Tier 4 General only allows 20 hours of work a week so that's something to consider.

Hope that helps!

I don't know the specifics but many of my international student friends who graduated with me were unable to find anyone to sponsor their visa after graduation and had to return home. Those who did generally ended up working for big corporations - investment banks, accountancy firms, law firms etc.

I wouldn't bank on being able to find a job here which will sponsor your visa after you graduate with much ease - unless you're happy to go work for a large corporate. It's real problem here and a tragic fail of the government immigration policy (IMHO).

Incidentally, just read this article from the Economist:

Schools blame Britain’s newly toughened visa requirements for non-EU students. Graduates used to have an automatic right to stay and work for two years. Now, they must find a sponsoring company and land a job which pays at least £20,000 ($32,000) a year. The number of visas available to students wanting to start their own business is piddling.