6 different schools, 6 different letters?

atay5510

I am applying to 6 different Bioengineering graduate schools for the September 2013 intake. Does this mean that each of my referees should write a different letter to each school that I am applying to? Or is it sufficient for him to write 1 generic letter describing myself and my research potential and send it to 6 different schools?

If different letters are required, how different should they be? Is it a matter of just changing the name of the school in the line "I recommend Mr. X for a place in the University of ____________ Bioengineering program"? Or is it something more? Seems like a lot of work to have them write 6 different letters!!

Excuse my ignorance, I am an international student from Australia.

Thanks

You will write a separate SOP for each school, but it is generally understood that each referee will only need to write a generic one. Some letter writers, do like to tailor a paragraph in each letter depending on the schools, especially if s/he knows that program/those professors there.