ChE PhD applicant: GRE Scores

dugmel27

Hey everyone,

I will be applying to ChE and BME PhD programs this fall at top schools (MIT, UPenn, Johns Hopkins, Yale, etc). I got my GRE scores today: Q165 (790-800 old scale, 92nd percentile), V157 (560 old scale, 73rd percentile), AW5.0 (92nd percentile). I'm not asking for chances but what I want to know is if these scores are good enough so I don't need to worry about having my application hurt by them.

I think I have a very solid application in all other respects. I have a high GPA & perfect major GPA from a top undergrad ChE school, 2.5 years of research experience in both academia and industry, good letters of recommendation, and a nice story to tell in my personal statement. I currently work as a research scientist in the pharmaceutical industry.

I just need some assurance that I can put the GREs behind me and focus on finishing up my applications. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :)

It sounds like you have a solid application. My two questions for you are: (1) do you have good letters of recommendation and (2) do you think you could do much better on the test?

From what I understand, the test can only hurt you if you do poorly - which you have not.

Good luck with your applications. I am applying to some of the schools you listed as well.

That's what I heard about the GRE too but I really have no idea what 'poorly' is relative to the best schools. I feel like I did well enough but just wanted some other opinions. Coming from an engineering school, I feel stupid that I didn't get a 170 but I knew from taking practice tests that I was bound to get 2-3 wrong because of stupid mistakes or some slip up rather than not knowing enough math. Maybe if I retook it I'd get 2 wrong instead of 3 but I don't think I'd get a perfect score.

My recs are not coming from big names but will be coming from people who I've done research with and know me well, so I'd say they're good.

I think you may be worrying about this too much. If you got below a 160 - I would retake. University of Minnesota's graduate website provides the most comprehensive information I have seen with respect to GRE scores (https://apps.grad.umn.edu/stats/ad/1016000.shtml#gre) take a look. These statistics should be on par with other top ChEE programs.