What should I focus on?

khaled

In short, I'm and international applicant planning to apply for top 20 ECE MS programs and here's my profile:

GPA: 3.75/4

TOEFL iBT: 97/120

GRE: 162 Q/145 V/3 AW .... awful AW and V :(

and I have a scholarship which covers the tuition fees and expenses ( so I won't compete nor bother the school about getting funds )

My question is, what should i focus on? is the GRE worth being retaken? Or should focus on the rest of the application and forget about the GRE? ( i still didn't work on the SOP and I have a chance to work with a professor at my home university on a research ) .... I'm honestly confused, sometimes I think I should focus on the rest of the application and sometimes I feel my awful GRE V&AW can get me rejected easily.

What do you think, given the fact the deadlines are on December and the time is limited.

I just recently attend a graduate school fair. My general impression was for GRE check with individual schools regarding the avaerage scores of applicants. Since you have a strong GPA though you should be o.k. I was told that statement of purpose is important as well as recommendations that really speak to your abilities as a student. The schools what to know exactly WHY you want to attend their program and how they will be a good fit for your career goals. Most schools seemed to understand that not everyone is the best test-taker, but if you feel you can honestly do better given the time constraints then go for it, if not then focus on the SOP and working with your professor.

If you don't already have research experience, you should accept the opportunity to work with the prof at your home uni. Research experience is critical for getting accepted to grad school.