Stipend enough for Chicago?

itsamiracle

I have been accepted to two schools in Chicago. One is offering me a stipend of 23K, the other is 18K. I prefer the program and school that is giving me 18K. However, I am concerned that it may not be enough to support a year in a large city like Chicago. Can anyone give me insight to the cost of living in the area and if 18K is enough? Thanks in advance.

If you are need to support just yourself on that stipend, 18K should be fine from whatever research I'd done. I am planning to support my wife too on a similar stipend.. it'll get very tight. For a single person however, 18K should be enough to lead a simple life.

you can always get an apartment in the suburbs off of the metra line. a bit cheaper, safer, and cleaner.

i dont know what schools you are exactly referring to, but the University of Chicago is in a less than stellar neighborhood. and UIC is a few blocks away from a horrible neighborhood as well.

Yes!! Things just got better. My preferred program upped the stipend offer to 20K. That, with your feedback, makes me a lot more comfortable with my future life (or lack of) in Chicago.

Hey, how did you get them to do that? I'm in a fix as I have to support my wife too on just this stipend (around $1500pm after taxes). That is going to be a real tight budget that we're going to live on unless I get some additional cash.. and this amount seems like their standard offer and I don't know if I should/can ask them if it can be raised (I'm awaiting a funding decision from OSU and a possible offer from McMaster) if one of the other places offer better funding (wrt living expenses in the respective city)..

I think I just got lucky. They had suggested the chance for funding to increase, but I honestly didn't take it to heart (afraid of being let down). When I made travel arrangements to visit, they informed me of the increase. I wish it was always this easy for everyone.