Chicago Waiting List for Fall 2009

Desperate

I'm in waiting list, and have no idea what the odds to get in are. Let's share any idea on this.

I know these questions are dumb enough, but I cann't feel free from curiousity!

I also know the situation of this year is exceptional, but in general how many people are saved from this list? How many are in this list? Maybe lots of admittance have alternative choices, then how many of them will choice other one? Dumb-ash questions, but please understand me.

Wait lists probably range in size from 4-20 students, depending on how many students the department admits. Chicago probably accepted around 15 students. So I would guess they have about 6 or 7 people on their waitlists.

They offered me that ridiculous MAPSS offer of 2/3 tuition coverage. I'm still on their soc phd waitlist. I understand the economy is in shambles, but do they really expect me to spend $17000 dollars on graduate education (a useless Masters degree) and spend around $20000 on living in Chicago (which is expensive) and offer no financial support. What a ridiculous offer.

Would anyone who got accepted to their Soc PhD program care to share info on the funding?

They offered me that ridiculous MAPSS offer of 2/3 tuition coverage. I'm still on their soc phd waitlist.

I got the exact same letter, as I've noted on another thread... Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who got 2/3 tuition, since I know they've given full tuition wavers for that program in the past. I might be interested in MAPSS (even though the letter did sound a tiny bit condensending, the whole "just missed" language) if they could give full tuition and work out some sort of RA position, but somehow I get the impression that's very unlikely. There's some interesting threads on this forum if you search for "MAPSS"... I'm very suprised that they offered it to me, since it sounds like MAPSS is designed for unfocused applicants whereas I thought my interests were relatively specific.

I've heard mixed things about MAPSS. It's not only for people with unfocused interests, though. Anyway, I'd advise against it.

UChicago's grad program also takes on average about 8 years to complete. I noticed you got into Berkeley. I didn't apply there, but wish I did. If you have the option of UChicago MAPSS and Berkeley, I'd go Berkeley any day (considering funding). You could always get your Masters at Berkeley and apply to Chicago in future years.

Do you know when wait listed applicants, on average, receive a final decision. I'm wait listed everywhere; I can't stand it.

To Slothy:

Out of curiosity, how come you plan to go MAPSS instead of UNC, Berkeley, or Duke?

For me these schools are the best schools in Sociology in overall. Depending on your specialty the preference might be changed, but I don't think MAPSS program is worthy to be compared with any of these program. Did I miss something?

Anyway, thank you for sharing you guys information. 'Average 8 years' to complete the program makes me frightened...

I knew one or two people who enrolled in MAPSS. One was very unfocused and did not have a social sciences background. The other went to an unknown, small college in the South; I was amazed that he did not get into a graduate program but he used the MAPSS program to broker relationships with top faculty who ultimately wrote his recommendations. He got into top-10 programs. He indicated that many faculty view MAPSS students as second-class citizens and it is hard to find a thesis advisor.

The reviews of MAPSS are mixed but it is not for someone who wants to begin a PhD program immediately following the program. The department discourages people from applying to grad programs until they are completely done with the MA. This means, at best, one would have a gap year between MAPSS and a PhD program. This is also assuming that one graduates on time: nearly 2/3-3/4 of people do not graduate on time.

Anyway, thank you for sharing you guys information. 'Average 8 years' to complete the program makes me frightened...

I am pretty sure those stats are dated. I know they redid the program a few years ago specifically to shorten it. They dropped the foreign language requirements they used to have.

To Slothy:

Out of curiosity, how come you plan to go MAPSS instead of UNC, Berkeley, or Duke?

For me these schools are the best schools in Sociology in overall. Depending on your specialty the preference might be changed, but I don't think MAPSS program is worthy to be compared with any of these program.

I said I might consider MAPSS if they actually came up with a decent funding package. However, I doubt the scholarship is negotiable, given the tone of the letter and program website (and the "second class citizens" attitude towards MAPSS students noted in a post above). I might go to Chicago for the MAPSS weekend anyway so that I'll already have the plane ticket in place if I get into Northwestern or Chicago Soc and, well, it never hurts to have more options. (It wasn't clear if MAPSS will be paying for travel, although I know they have in past years.) I think it's likely that my parents would pay for everything if I really decided MAPSS was the right path and Chicago didn't come up with anything more for me, but I really don't want to ask them. Honestly, the schools I've gotten into were really the bottom half of my list. I had my heart set on Northwestern, Harvard, Chicago, Columbia, or Stanford, and everyone in my undergrad department told me I would be a shoe-in for at least one of them.... right now it's looking like waitlist at all five. Yes, Berkeley is a strong department, but for me it was really a fallback - I just don't see a fit with the department's culture and I'm really sick of being lost in a big-state soc department where everyone fends for themselves, even if I seem to be good at it. Berkeley's attrition rate terrifies me and I could easily see myself being lonely and unhappy there. Berkeley also said they'll "have to see if they can come up with a way" to cover out-of-state tuition; that's not something I want to see any doubt over (if they didn't the costs of Berkeley would get far closer to parity in costs with MAPSS). I have serious doubts about the feasibility of transferring with a MA into another top-15 program. And UNC and Duke, even if one pretends that they are functionally the same program, aren't really a strong fit for my interests. Cornell might be, but I'll have to visit before I know for sure.

wait seriously???? It was still on their website as of last summer, and is the ONLY reason why I didn't apply to Chicago... crap.

Hm. I am pretty sure that's what I heard from some current students there. I suppose I could be misremembering if it's still on their website.

Slothy -- I am really surprised to hear your opinion of Berkeley. I think it's easily a better department than a number of your top-choice ones, with far more distinguished senior Sociology faculty. Beyond that, Berkeley has the single largest collection of prominent academics anywhere in the world. The chance to have a seminar with Butler, Rabinow, Lakoff or Searle is pretty damn exciting. Chicago, Northwestern and probably even Columbia don't have anything to match that collection of scholars. On the other hand, I do hear what you have to say about the size of the department and the possibility of getting lost in it. That is the only reason I am considering any other program.

slothy, perhaps i don't know a thing about phd programs, but i've always felt that your fate in any these places is of your own making. Berkeley is a fantastic school to "fall back on" and with the faculty and resources there, it'll be sociological heaven. if you're afraid of getting lost then pound the pavement for attention. even in the smaller programs, no one is going to chase you down. you still have to stand against the odds (whatever they may be) to get noticed and get yours. i hope that if things dont work out with the other schools that you will be able to choose Berkeley with a smile. it's a great choice to have... especially in an economy so incredibly crappy. buck up, dude and good luck!

I've got some information from a professor:

In the normal years, the department would usually admit 40+ students, among whom about 15-20 would come.

This year, the department has decided to admit 10 students in the first run, and put others on the waiting list. They fear lest all the applicants they admit would come and drive the department into bankruptcy.

I think that eventually there will be 10-12 students in this year's cohort. Therefore my guess is that probably three to five applicants can get off waiting list.

Good luck to those who'd like to come.

In the normal years, the department would usually admit 40+ students, among whom about 15-20 would come.

This year, the department has decided to admit 10 students in the first run, and put others on the waiting list. They fear lest all the applicants they admit would come and drive the department into bankruptcy.

I think that eventually there will be 10-12 students in this year's cohort. Therefore my guess is that probably three to five applicants can get off waiting list.

I really appreciate for sharing this information. This is what I really want to know.... Thanks a lot!!!

So, it seems like the odds of being rescued from the list is wholly depending on how many student choice other option among 10 survivors... 15-20 among 40 is not bad, but the pool is now only 10... maybe 1-2 might be the maximun number of available slot for waiters... I'll bet the odds and pray for it, though..

Estranger, Thank you very much again!!!

Their final cohort goal is only 1/2 of what it usually is. Unless they are damn good at predicting that the 10 they gave offers to would accept (and in previous years it seems like their average rate of "guessing" this was only 44% or so), we should still see a few offers. My guess is 5-8, based on the numbers you list (18 offers to get 11 applicants is a 61% accept rate--far more accurate than before). More importantly the reason they will be able to get this extra accuracy is that the waitlist will be self-selecting and self-narrowing, if things go right -- so those 5-8 offers will actually represent a larger number of initial applicants, if we count those who drop off the list voluntarily. Which means that if you actually really want Chi over the other schools and you are persistent (and near the top of the list) then hang on tight and you've got a decent shot.

I'm not entirely sure if my interpretation is correct. But if I am, what that professor meant is that they've given 10 offers till this moment, expecting 3-5 drop-outs, and pick up people on the waiting list to fill that vacancy. Perhaps they may decide to recruit 1 or 2 more (I wish so) if they feel that they will be able to fund them.

Has anyone heard anything else? i still haven't received anything from Chicago, which is weird because their deadline was the first in the list of schools I applied to and i've heard from everyone else.

I appreciate any information. i'm tired of checking the mail 100 times every day.