83rd percentile in GRE Verbal..good enough for top 20?

Hi,

I'm an international applicant and appeared for my GRE today. I got V 160, Q 150 . That's a 83percentile on the verbal.I want to apply to schools like Wisconsin-Mdison, UT Austin, UC Irvine, Illinois Urbana-Champaign etc....Is this score a competitive one for a Phd in English applicant? Please help with some insight...thanks to all those who will in advance :)...P.S.: My TOEFL score is 113, if that helps

There is no cut off for scores that are "good enough" for admissions. BUT, the word through the grapevine is that hitting top 15% is the cut off. You've missed it by 2%, so I would assume you're doing pretty good. I've also had people say that a lot of schools just make sure you can hit the top 25%, and they don't matter much after that. Depends on the program and your overall application.

I've said it once before, but it bears repeating now: GRE scores can't get in you "in" but they can keep you "out." I would only be really worried about this if you were below the 70%.

But, of course, this is not gospel. I scored in the 73% last year -- stupid ETS! -- and am hoping to bring it up to AT LEAST the 75% so I can hit the top 25 mark this year. I am scared of being kept out because of these scores, but they aren't keeping me from applying by any means.

The 83% score is not competitive for top programs, no. Preferably, you'd want to score 95%+ for that, really as close to 99% as you can. When top schools disclose their admitted students' GRE scores, they are almost always astronomical.

But as rems says, GRE scores don't do a whole lot as far as getting accepted goes. You're applying at a slight disadvantage but not by much.

Edited by Two Espressos

The 83% score is not competitive for top programs, no. Preferably, you'd want to score 95%+ for that, really as close to 99% as you can. When top schools disclose their admitted students' GRE scores, they are almost always astronomical.

But as rems says, GRE scores don't do a whole lot as far as getting accepted goes. You're applying at a slight disadvantage but not by much.

I second this. As someone who just isn't good at taking the GRE, I have to convince myself that I can apply anyway despite the fact that I know what two espressos said is true. I also already have a MA, so I'm hoping that I've "proved" I can succeed at the graduate level despite what the GRE says. I know there's already a thread dedicated to this, but I'm spending today (avoiding) studying for the test I'm taking in just under 2 weeks (for the third time). It's embarrassing! I feel as though my app is baller (that's the official adcom word for it, BTW), besides the fact that I can't do well on this stupid test for the life of me. I just don't have a good brain. :(

Long story short, I don't think GRE should stop anyone from applying. If you were in the, say, 58% that might cause some alarm to your adcoms, but generally I'm hoping that other stuff makes up for it. If a GRE score keeps you out, you probably weren't going to get in anyway -- that's what I keep telling myself so I don't throw my apps in the trash after I take the test on the 25th.

We simply can't know what schools are up to unless they tell us directly. 83rd is on the low end for a top school, but you might get in if they like your application. I do, think, though, that you should widen your application pool. Don't only apply to Top 20s.

I know people got into Ivy's last season with scores in the low 70's, so you never know. I think the real question is how to budget your time from here on out, now that we have about two months left. Do you think you can improve your score by 10 ore more percentile points with studying? How much studying? Will that studying detract from your writing sample and SoP? Because those are the two most important documents on your application for most schools.

Thank you everyone....reading this gives me much more hope than I had after reading my GRE scores yesterday. I had high fever while giving the exam and all of that but of course none of that matters anymore.

@ImWantHazPhD yeah I am working now on my SoP and writing sample. I know those are the two most crucial elements in my profile and after bombing my GRE I'm taking no chances. Unfortunately retaking the test is out of the option as that would make me miss most of my deadlines :(. I still have to take my subject GRE which is scheduled on Nov.10 ,so just hoping to do well on that.

@rems, @Stately Plump, @asleepawake Thank you so much for the positive feedback. I keep telling myself that GRE isn't everything but then funding is an issue and an 83 percentile might mess that up *sigh*...I'll just send off the applications and hope for the best :)

@Rachael2687 Congratulations on getting such a stellar AWA score! I'm applying to Minnesota as well :). I'm yet to receive my AWA scores, hope they are decent. All the best for the applications :).