Is business school right for me?

thbrown

Hello,

New member here. I recently graduated with my bachelors degree and I realized that what I was going to school for is no longer what I want to do.

I have developed an interest in maritime shipping and logistics and would like to learn logistics and supply chain management. I think this industry will utilize my international mindset and will incorporate my love and passion for geography, language and culture. Entry level jobs in this field are hard to find and I am debating going back to school.

My question to you all is: With no previous business education experience, is going to grad school an option for me? Are preparatory courses available? It seems like to stay competitive in this society you need to get further educated become specialized.

Thank you for viewing this post and for your responses.

TB

• 3 months later...

most MBA's are designed to be all inclusive, meaning that you don't need too much prerequisites to complete the program.  You will have to do the full 48 units (2 years of coursework) in most cases, whereas a business major undergrad may be able to skip a few of the courses.

The only stipulation is probably you need at least some basic statistics, college algebra, maybe a watered down calculus course such as Business Calc.  If you have something equivalent to those, you should be okay.

A good resource will be to browse some of the top school's MBA website and see what the prerequisites to enter the program are.

Best of luck.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

New member here. I recently graduated with my bachelors degree and I realized that what I was going to school for is no longer what I want to do.

I have developed an interest in maritime shipping and logistics and would like to learn logistics and supply chain management. I think this industry will utilize my international mindset and will incorporate my love and passion for geography, language and culture. Entry level jobs in this field are hard to find and I am debating going back to school.

My question to you all is: With no previous business education experience, is going to grad school an option for me? Are preparatory courses available? It seems like to stay competitive in this society you need to get further educated become specialized.

Thank you for viewing this post and for your responses.

TB

You sound like a candidate for a degree in Operations Research/ Industrial Engineering/Logistics.  What is your math background?  Most STEM graduates are qualified to get an ORFE MS.

B-school will be difficult to get into straight from undergrad without any work experience, but ORFE will take you.  You can always do an MBA later, and an ORFE MS does not disqualify you from a PhD.

Edited by AvariciousBanker