Research in EE - Computational vs Experimental

chuck_b

I am having a difficult time understanding how exactly I am going to fit into a particular department (my area is solid states).

I have a primarily simulation based background and the research lab I am interested in is mostly experimental. I have just been so focused on my projects in the past that the time was never there for conducting any hands on research, aside of course from basic lab courses in EE.

Will I be at a major disadvantage? Will I also be able to pick up on the experimental techniques and usage of various equipment? Also, am I expected to learn all this on my own or will doctoral and post-docs be kind enough to help me out (they obviously have their own research going on, so I would not want to bother them, but I dunno ....)?

I am very confused. :?

Basic theory and lab courses in EE is all the background you will need. If you are interested in pursuing your PhD in the materials/solid state/devices realm, you will be exposed to all three major approaches in this field while you are in grad school. These are (1) computer simulation, (2) mathematical theory, and (3) 'wet' experimentation. You may be focused on one of these approaches in particular, or you might be focused on an application area and use all three approaches regularly to accomplish your goals. Your first year in grad school will probably advance your understanding A LOT.

You sound particularly worried about learning the experimental techniques. Don't be. Labs never expect students to come in already knowing how to use the advanced equipment in their facilities. Some students have used similar equipment at other places, but the techniques don't always transfer. Scanning Electron Microscopes and Deep Reactive Ion Etching machines (among other gear) are VERY expensive. Labs don't let anyone off the street jump on one of these machines as they are very expensive to fix if broken. As such, they always have training programs for all the different equipment. These programs will be more of a crash course then what you are used to from lab courses in college where you write reports after every little thing you learn how to do.

Other people in your lab will help you out. A lot of the experimental work is very monotonous so it will be worthwhile to train you and have you do grunt work for a few semesters while you perfect your craft, learn more in your courses, and develop some ideas.

Good Luck!