"Understanding Admissions", a new book you may be interested in

Dear All,

I'm writing to announce the publication of our recent book (co-authored by myself and Ryan Lilien), entitled “Understanding Admissions: Getting into the Top Graduate Programs in Computer Science and Engineering”. I'm very happy to see a forum like this exists - I think it could be a great resource to future graduate students! As faculty at research universities (UMass Amherst, Tulane University, University of Toronto), our book provides an insider’s look into how graduate applications are evaluated, and answers all the common questions associated with putting together a successful graduate application. The book discusses all of the core elements of your application and the role each plays in the review process.

The book is relatively short (86 pages), but the chapters are structured to cover everything you need to know to maximize your chances of admission: the decision to apply, seeking advice, where to apply, what schools are looking for in an application, high-yield undergraduate activities, requesting letters of recommendation, writing the personal statement, selecting a research area, and the keys to a successful first year. The book is modestly priced and available in numerous formats(iBookstore, NOOK, eBook, and paperback); more information, as well as a summary and excerpts of content, are available at www.understandingadmissions.org.

Finally, in the spirit of the forum, please post here with your questions and comments. I look forward to answering any of your questions, as well as to hear your thoughts and feedback. Best,

Ram Mettu