LOW GRE VERBAL SCORE

coolcc515

Hi guys, so I just took the GRE today and I'm very disappointed with my score. For the Quantitative Exam, I got 167 which was below what I thought I would get. I'm an applied math and physics major and I found the exam easy, I even had time to review all my answers. I was surprised with my score since I was expecting a perfect score. For the verbal exam, it was even worse as I got a score of 145 (I thought I have at least 150) and I am an international students btw. English isn't my first language.

I have yet to learn how I did for the writing portion but I'm pretty confident that I will at least get a 4 in average.

Right now, I'm debating whether to retake the GRE or not. I intend to apply for a PhD in Mechanical Engineering to several top engineering schools, for instance, Berkeley, Stanford, CalTech, UCLA, USC, and UCSD, and I am unsure whether my GRE scores will hurt my chances for admission. To be honest, I'm terrible in verbal but coupled with the anxiety you feel during the exam, there are times when I don't understand the passages I'm reading because my mind is just not able to focus.

Besides the GRE, I have strong GPA. intense research experience and strong recommendations. I am currently a senior at a top 20 university in the US.

I don't want the grad school to reject me just because I have a low GRE verbal score. Can I explain somehow in my personal statement? Will that help?

Thanks in advance.

You don't need to explain your low verbal score in your personal statement. (And there's really nothing to explain as international students are expected to be fluent or proficient in English; saying "English isn't my first language" won't make an adcom go easier on you.)

To offset your verbal score, write a strong, positive SOP that conveys your aptitude, experience, and passion for the field and for the particular programs you've chosen. Make sure your LORs are from people who think highly of you and your work. And apply to a few less competitive schools that you'd still be happy and fortunate to attend.

Also consider retaking the GRE to go for your perfect math score as well as to boost your verbal a bit. Think of your first try as a practice test and learn from it; don't make it a huge source of stress and anxiety. The GRE does not define who you are as a person or even as an applicant.

Good luck!

Edited by midnight streetlight

You don't need to explain your low verbal score in your personal statement. (And there's really nothing to explain as international students are expected to be fluent or proficient in English; saying "English isn't my first language" won't make an adcom go easier on you.)

To offset your verbal score, write a strong, positive SOP that conveys your aptitude, experience, and passion for the field and for the particular programs you've chosen. Make sure your LORs are from people who think highly of you and your work. And apply to a few less competitive schools that you'd still be happy and fortunate to attend.

Also consider retaking the GRE to go for your perfect math score as well as to boost your verbal a bit. Think of your first try as a practice test and learn from it; don't make it a huge source of stress and anxiety. The GRE does not define who you are as a person or even as an applicant.

Good luck!

Thanks very much! This is actually my second try. I did even worse on the first time because I didn't even study for it. Studying for the GRE is taking too much of my time and I couldn't find a way to improve my skills on the verbal part. I will probably take it again next month to see if I can score above 150.

I had the same problem dude. Took a GRE exam yesterday and got 167 quant and 147 verbal. I was getting above 152 in all my practice test :(

I am also retaking it next month