SOP Suicide

Would it be application suicide to mention in a SOP that you are not a "typical" student for the school you are applying? For example, if you're applying to an ivy or top ten would it be really stupid to say something like, "I know I'm not your typical candidate. I come from a small, state liberal arts school that no one has ever heard of. My first two and half years of undergrad culminated in a whopping 2.03 GPA, and my GRE scores are not even close to what you're probably looking for. But I think this is what makes me unique..." etc. etc. to list achievements, fit, and all that other good stuff.

I'm just wondering what people's first reaction is to something like this. I feel as though if I'm applying to schools the level of Brown and Stanford that I might need to mention that I'm aware I don't typically fit the bill for what they're looking for. BUT, I fear that that might be a really bad idea. Maybe they wouldn't have even thought that if I didn't say anything... I know that we should mention faults and blips on our records, so I'm not sure if it would be okay to mention to an ivy that they're, well, an ivy.

It seems bland and uncreative to me. You should probably *explain* your rocky record, but why waste time belittling yourself? The SOP is not about self-effacement; it is marketing, it is selling yourself. (It is also very hard for many academic-type people because we tend to come across as self-effacing to the point of arrogance). Just jump out there and show what makes you unique and perfect for the program.

Especially, though, don't belittle your undergrad. First, because most of us didn't go to fancy-schmance name brand Ivy. Secondly, because the profs may well see that as a predictor of how you may talk about your PhD school--and you MUST be the PINNACLE of enthusiastic about your PhD school (at least until you get a permanent job, ha!). Nobody wants to admit someone who might spend the entire time badmouthing the program.

Besides, can you imagine if one of the profs went to your alma mater--or worse, is currently sending a child there?

Edited by Sparky

It seems bland and uncreative to me. You should probably *explain* your rocky record, but why waste time belittling yourself? The SOP is not about self-effacement; it is marketing, it is selling yourself. (It is also very hard for many academic-type people because we tend to come across as self-effacing to the point of arrogance). Just jump out there and show what makes you unique and perfect for the program.

Especially, though, don't belittle your undergrad. First, because most of us didn't go to fancy-schmance name brand Ivy. Secondly, because the profs may well see that as a predictor of how you may talk about your PhD school--and you MUST be the PINNACLE of enthusiastic about your PhD school (at least until you get a permanent job, ha!). Nobody wants to admit someone who might spend the entire time badmouthing the program.

Besides, can you imagine if one of the profs went to your alma mater--or worse, is currently sending a child there?

I didn't think about that! Thank you for your advice -- I'm already leaning towards NOT doing this. In criticizing myself for what I wrote, I think it may sound gimmicky... Almost like "Look at how quirky and fun I am! I'm "different" than those other SOP's" which isn't all the different at all. In fact, reflecting upon this I'm realizing that it sounds kind of tacky, and a little annoying.

Thanks everyone for your input!

I do actually find this a bit "catchy" but you would need to be sure that you can really back it up with incredible accomplishments (think published books, refereed journal articles) and really strong letters. Otherwise it will just be highlighting your weaknesses. Also, most applicants (and faculty members) did not attend UG schools that are necessarily the most "prestigious" and so you really don't want to avoid appearing to badmouth your current situation. Highlight how the program you're applying to will provide you with opportunities to grow.