Please Evaluate my SOP - MS in Robotics

Hello everybody,

I want to pursue MS in Robotics and I am pasting my SOP below. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Naman Kumar MS in ROBOTICS

“Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do.” – Steve Jobs.

I consider myself lucky that I have found out what I believe is great work.

As a child, toys like Remote Controlled Car always fascinated me and when I grew up, I got a chance to attend couple of conferences in the field of Robotics and Artificial Intelligence during High School and I was so motivated by those conferences and the work and research going on in this field that I decided to pursue my Undergraduate in the field of Electronics Engineering. It was during the work and projects done during my Undergraduate that strengthened my belief about devoting my life to Robotics and Artificial Intelligence. The future belongs to Robots working like human being and I will do anything to be a part of that Revolution and this has motivated me to pursue my further studies in this field.

During my Undergraduate, I was able to create a very good base by studying different electronics subjects like 8051 Microcontroller and 8085 Microprocessor, Digital Signal Processing, Virtual Instrumentation and many more. I was able to attain a very good knowledge of these subjects which also helped me in securing a grade of 9.6 out of 10 and helped me in maintaining my position in top 5.Apart from gaining theoretical knowledge of these subjects, there were many practical projects like Microcontroller based Fire Detector, Obstacle, 8051 Microcontroller based projects, Shape Recognition and Face Recognition using Matlab, Voice Recognition using Matlab and many more. These projects helped me in applying theoretical knowledge and helped in gaining a practical exposure.

Apart from my academic curriculum, I was a very active member of Robotics Society of my college, worked on many projects and won many national level Robotics competitions throughout the country. I secured second position in an Image Processing competition and a third position in an autonomous robotics competition. I was in top three in many other Robotics competitions also. I am also the member of IEEE Robotics and Automation Society. I have organized many workshops in our college related to Robotics and Image Processing. Also, I was able to publish a paper in a conference in India. Apart from working on Technical projects as mentioned above, I have also worked on an Entrepreneur project related to Home to Home and Night Car Service and a Social project on Rag pickers.

I also got a chance to go for a 6 months internship in the field of Computer Vision and Machine Learning in Brown University, USA. This internship not only helped me in my intellectual growth but I also got a chance to attend international conferences like CVPR – 2012(Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition). It was a life time experience. Apart from this internship, I also did an internship at Embex Technologies, India where I worked on Arm Processors, PCB Designing and Labview. I did a couple of months internship in a startup Company to gain an exposure of the corporate world.

As far as extra-curricular activities are concerned, I am a member of PEC Cricket Team and have played many tournaments throughout the nation. I have also captained many teams which helped me in gaining the quality of Leadership. I have also participated in many athletic events like 50m, 100m race and won couple of times. I have also organized many events during the cultural or technical festivals of our college. I participate in Social Work by teaching poor children and by creating awareness about diseases like AIDS and Malaria. I also help in making them aware of their rights and duties.

As we all know, CMU – Robotics Institute is one of the best institutes in the world in the field of Robotics. It has one of the most experienced faculties and a great research base. I have heard lot of praise about it from my seniors who have studied there. The research going on in the Robotics Department is of the highest quality and I would love to be a part of it. I would greatly benefit from this program and hope that it will be a symbiotic relation.

I just gave it a quick glance over, but it seems a little too 'past oriented' - you focus on your accomplishments to date, like a retelling of your CV, rather than your interests for the future. Try to focus on how each experience shaped your future research interests, rather than just listing off the things you have done. I'd also bring up what your research interests are sooner, and maybe address what you hope to do (specifically, if possible) during your Masters program and beyond (as a career). Lastly, I'd get rid of the quote at the beginning - it bears little relevance to either your opening, or your field of interest.