Diversity Statement: significant other?

Hi guys,

I haven't posted much before, but looking at these forums has been really helpful throughout this whole process so far. I have a quick, rather specific question and was just looking to hear some of your thoughts. I'm working on a diversity statement (which 2 of the universities that I'm applying to require).

I know I want to write about my experience living abroad in Spain for the last couple years, but I'm not sure whether it is a good or bad idea to mention my Spanish boyfriend of 4+ years. :wub: On the one hand it makes it a lot easier to talk about having roots,"family," and strong connections in another country without sounding like a trying-too-hard tourist, but on the other hand I'm worried that it might not be appropriate to mention.

Has anyone had experience mentioning a significant other in a diversity statement? or is anyone else thinking about doing it? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :)

I think it's all about how you frame the story. The admissions committee wants to see the diversity statement because they want to make sure you can collaborate with diverse peers and professors and that you can teach a diverse student body. Can you frame the story of your significant other in a way that demonstrates your ability to research, study, and teach in a diverse environment?

Edited by proflorax

I think it's all about how you frame the story. The admissions committee wants to see the diversity statement because they want to make sure you can collaborate with diverse peers and professors and that you can teach a diverse student body. Can you frame the story of your significant other in a way that demonstrates your ability to research, study, and teach in a diverse environment?

Do you want to be defined by your significant other in your application?

I think these are the pros and cons of mentioning it. It is something that has definitely influenced my experience with other cultures and my perspective as a whole, but as Phil Sparrow comments I certainly don't want to be defined by someone else in my app. I guess it's probably a fine line that depends on how much I can focus back on myself as I'm writing...

Thanks for the responses.

Like others above, I think it's fine to mention your significant other as "supporting evidence" for any arguments you make and you can relate it to yourself. In my SOP, I mentioned my wife because I felt the need to explain why we chose to do a MSc in Canada before a PhD in the US (where the MSc is basically worthless and I'd be starting all over again). One of the reasons was that I was not yet married to my wife and if I had gone to a US school right after undergrad, my wife would not be able to join me until we got married.

Later on, when visiting schools, my wife came along with the visit when it was possible for her busy work schedule and budget (she visited schools that we could drive to, and the school reimbursed mileage the same whether it was one passenger or two!). At all schools, the profs I talked to knew that the PhD is something my wife and I were doing together (even though I was technically the student) so that we would both be making the decision together. I didn't encounter any negative feedback about this -- everyone was understanding and they were all very helpful in trying to ensure I get the right visa so that my wife could apply for work authorization.