Mention average GRE and/or GPA in SOP?

I am writing my SOP for admission to a PhD program in chemistry for fall 2013 and have been reading this thread for a few weeks now. But, I haven't seen if a mediocre GRE, GPA scores should be mentioned and explained if possible? If there is another thread on this that I've missed the link to that tread would be greatly appreciated if possible. Thank you for any input!!

I think it's appropriate to mention a mediocre GPA in an SOP *only* if there was a clear-cut explanation such as a family emergency, illness, or other true hardship that affected your performance, and even then it probably shouldn't be more than a brief mention.

However, if your GPA was mediocre due to a tough program, difficult professors, or any other normal academic reason, I don't see the point in mentioning it. It may come across as a flimsy excuse or whining.

Also if your GRE score is truly mediocre--especially your quant--you may want to retake it. And I don't see the point in explaining a so-so GRE score in an SOP; it is what it is, and if you have a lot of great things going for you that you feel confident applying to PhD programs, then your SOP is better off focusing on your strengths, research, and passion for the field.

Mentioning a mediocre GRE score in your SOP will only sound like whining or making excuses. After all, you can re-take it as many times as you want...

Edited by iowaguy

I opted not to mention my mediocre GPA in my SOP. It's not ridiculously low (3.43, from a top 15 university), so I thought it better just not to bring any kind of attention to it. It's not "low" for my university, so I just hope the adcomm knows that. I did have some pretty good reasons, but they sounded trite when I tried writing them down, even if they were true. The SOP is the place to sell yourself, so just show them how awesome you are and don't focus on negatives unless there is a VERY good explanation. In my case, I scored well on the GRE, so I am trying not to worry about my GPA. Few people have perfect stats, and perfect stats aren't the key to admission anyway. That's what I keep telling myself...