Mechanical Engineering to Biology

bmk9182

Hope this is the right place to ask this.

I'm posting to find out if anyone has any experience getting there undergraduate degree in an engineering degree (mechanical in my case) and going to graduate school in a biology field?

To be more specific, I am currently in my senior year for mechanical engineering. For about the last year, I have begun to worry that I would not fit in at a traditional engineering job. I have always been interested in research but am beginning to think I might be better suited to work in the life sciences. To be even more specific, I am looking a labs which specialize in comparative biomechanics (which often falls under biology but has a engineering/physics elements).

What are the implications of having a B.S. in ME and a M.S. (or PhD) in Biology? To me, it seems like this would just make broaden my work opportunities, which is something I am definitely looking for.

I've always loved Biology! If you think it will help you find your purpose in life then why not go and study? I personally studied Sociology because I couldn't really pick a choice, but I still keep reading biology and I may go and get a degree as well some time in the future. It's definitely worth it!

• 3 weeks later...

It depends on the graduate program, some biology programs at the graduate level want to see a solid background in biology, while others only require a solid background in any science.

But, to my knowledge biomechanics (aka as bioengineering) programs will also take engineering undergrads.

Whatever the case, it is not unheard study A in undergrad and then D in grad school.